Car Booty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
a boot fair review, for you all. sorry its abit late, but as they say better late than never. this is infact two weeks worth of trawling. and i think some of my best finds to date.

this is a stamp made of copper and beech i think, it says CRYPTON on it and looks very similar to some of the things in a buck and hickman 1935 catalog.
IMAG0242.jpg

these lovely locomotive pictures where a magazine freebie from modern boy 1935 :shock: all individually framed i was very chuffed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: when i found these.
IMAG0234.jpg

continuing the railway theme i found this lovely book the wonder book of railways sadly quite beaten up, but a lovely book all the same.
IMAG0244.jpg

TEN!!! issues of the woodworker for a staggering ten pence (rip off), one is the exact age as me. full of great plans and tips.
IMAG0243.jpg

i have plans to make a tabaco tin organizer so when i saw these i snapped them up full of little useful bits like motor brushes and imperial allen keys.
IMAG0233.jpg

a stanley 53 adjustable spokeshave nice example good blade, any clues on how much this is worth?
IMAG0235.jpg

the next two items i might need a bit of help finding some more info on them the first item is my first saw ever bought from a car boot it is a very fine example. any information would be great
IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

now for the most useful tool i have ever come across, and i would love to buy more, perfect for the motorbike took kit. but i have no idea what its called or where its from. basically is a six sizes spanner arranged in a belt formation.
IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

sorry for all the shakey pics

adidat

Nice, that spanner set is cool :D . It's good at boot sales usually old tools that are in their eyes past it but some are better than new ones [better metals etc]

I myself got a wood small vice for £2 from £3 and was wondering how to make a rise/fall for my router I put under a bench then figured out that the vice would be better than a bottle jack [as some use] worked a treat so had to look for another vice for the workbench and found a No1 woden wood vice with a quick release on it for £5 from £8 so well happy :D .

Try This LINK

I lightened the picture up and it is J.Hill LATE Howel.....

IMAG0240.jpg

Seems Mr Hill Esq. worked for the Howel company....

HILL, Joseph Vaughan LONDON
64 Cromer Street, Gray’s Inn Road [also given as Judd Street] 1834-1836
5 Chichester Place, Gray’s Inn Road 1839-1863
252 Gray’s Inn Road 1864-1909
Saw maker and tool dealer, but also produced many planes marked J.V.Hill; a letter head from his early days describes him as a wholesale saw manufacturer. He was foreman to J.Howell (Howell’s own invariable spelling), planemaker of Chelsea (1806-1840), hence the marks. His use of a zigzag bordered mark is exceptionally late; his marks on saw backs are invariably more deeply struck than almost any other maker’s. Recent research by Jeff Warner has shown that his prosperity (considerable: he died a rich man) was based on his business being close to the piano-making area of London, The longevity of the firm was due to its continuance under the same name for several years after Hill’s death.

Seems your saw dates from the earlier period before 1850....so a fantastic bargain at £4.

I would love to have found that saw...I simply love the handle...wonderful wonderful bootfair haul....

The spanner is also ingenious and a lovely find too....but I am still drooling over the saw....absolutely stunning mate...get it sharpened and use it! You won't regret it!

The spokeshave is my next favourite item...that is an old shape and would fetch a pretty penny on FleaBay if properly auctioned. I would keep it though...another piece of history they have sadly cheapened in today's models.....

I love that saw....

I simply love that saw!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Thanks Jimi - that was the info I was looking for but hadn't found in my haste.

The Stanley 53 is a nice model (as long as its adjustable mouth still works) but is quite common. I bought mine on ebay and only paid £2.99. Conclusion: keep it and enjoy it for yourself!

AndyT":1c9y3gpz said:
Thanks Jimi - that was the info I was looking for but hadn't found in my haste.

The Stanley 53 is a nice model (as long as its adjustable mouth still works) but is quite common. I bought mine on ebay and only paid £2.99. Conclusion: keep it and enjoy it for yourself!

It's a pleasure Andy...I was not into saws until I got my little Sorby and had it sharpened by our dear Herr Pedder.... 8)

I'm rather hoping that this is just a tiny dip....but I feel strangely drawn towards the edge to see the gradient of the slope...I'm sure it can't be that steep, can it? :mrgreen: :oops:

I have seen the mitre planes that he made...they are gorgeous too! Damn...this vintage tool thing is addictive...it's like a mystery tour every time some new maker surfaces!

Shamefully I have missed that version of the 53...I like it much more than the newer, thicker versions...yup....I'd keep it too! Especially if it were a round soled one! 8)

I simply lurve that saw! =D> =D> =D>

Reading down that complete link above...I see that there is also an "A.Hill" and that looks more like the stamp you have adidat....any chance of a closer shot of that stamp mate.

Don't you just love the "LATE" bit too...people should do that today if they work with a company and then leave...imagine...KT Tools LATE Cable and Wireless.....HA! I bet they'd sue! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

wow im so happy right now, i will do that soon jimi, im thinking of cleaning the muck out abit then we might be able to see the wood from the trees, turpentine on an ear bud?

adidat

adidat":4prgh1xh said:
closer look and i think it might be an I.HILL

adidat

I would clean it out with lighter fuel and a toothbrush...

What you want to try to avoid is losing the patina...you don't want the polished to "1" of its life" look....

I.Hill will be J.Hill...it is just the old way of depicting a "J" methinks....or of course...there could be another hill in the range! There appears to be an A.Hill and a J.V.Hill.

At this stage of research without getting into the geneology...I would favour J.Hill and an old stamp. The stamp seems to have refined over the years and the font is generally a good indication of the age.

Cheers

Jimi

Blister":2xpl4qww said:
jimi43

stop it

you will turn adidat into a addict

must have a fix of saw :shock:

Au contraire mon ami! Au contraire

Even with your wit...anyone can see that anagramatically you are missing a "c"....saw! :oops:

God that was BAD! No coat is big enough! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi, allen,

thank you for your concern, but its too late, all day i dream about tools. that combination of wood and steel combined by bolts with the cheeky bit of brass added to catch your eye.

as if that wasnt enough they added logos and patent info to drive us wild. but with the invention of the internet it has made our habit seem less dirty and there are now regulated places that we can get our fix from, no more standing on street corners.

one day i hope i will be able to kick it.

adidat

I can see it now

A group of adults sitting around a table and the group leader says

" we adidat will you start by telling us your problem "

adidat says

" My name is adidat and I fondle old hand tools " and starts to cry then says " Please forgive me " :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or...

"Doctor....I have this saw...it's only a little saw...but it wasn't there yesterday....."

"Sir....don't rub it too hard...you don't know how it will sore be...." :roll:

(I've run out of coats....) :oops:

Jim

Back