First car booty of the season

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks chaps!

I was going to post a few more pics of the restoration stages on the Stanley but I can't access my Imgur gallery at the moment.

I must take this opportunity to do something I should have done above and that is to thank Racers again for posting over a frog screw, without which I would have been nervous using the plane for roughing duties. Thanks Pete, you're a scholar and a gent.

2KgFFqp.jpg

After cleaning I could make out the stamps, it's by Maun Industries which I'd never heard of before. There are a few images of this style of side cutter from previous and current fleabay listings but all have a different pattern stamped. I can't tell if this is later or earlier, but I suspect earlier.

The strip of tape is just for a like-for-like photo, after cleaning the action is slick and the return spring holds the grips apart.

I know it's a very old thread, but I couldn't resist...

My Grandpa (the engineering one, not the gardening one) had a side cutter exactly like this, except for a neat notch in blade, supposedly from cutting a live wire!

Not a boot sale haul, but picked these up for €15 on my holidays in Wexford. A Steadfast stubby screwdriver (these really are the best stubby driver around, I already own a bigger version, perfect for adjusting cap iron screws), two battered old chisels which I'll re-handle, one of them a Ward, a bar of solder, a West German screwdriver, a 1/2" auger bit and finally a good heavy pattern dividers. Unfortunately the thread on rhe thumbscrew of the dividers is stripped so I might make a new one with metric thread and retap the divider arm. A few little projects to keep me going.
20220722_123409.jpg

I picked up another dividers for €4 with the same problem- stripped threads on the thumbscrew. I set about repairing them both this weekend. I retapped with a 5mm hand tap, then made new thumbscrews from a metric bolts, bit of work with propane torch, hammer and anvil with final shaping by grinder and files. The thumbscrews are small, but next to no chance of stripping the threads this time. Final job was to straighten the legs and sharpen the points.

Attachments

• 20220801_095359.jpg
    20220801_095359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220801_095324.jpg
    20220801_095324.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220801_095306.jpg
    20220801_095306.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220801_095228.jpg
    20220801_095228.jpg