First car booty of the season

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad car boot this morning, plenty of tools I would have liked, but didn't need of course.

I walked away with some imperial allen keys, nice draper set for 50p, and a draper 54 mortice marking gauge brand new in packet for £1.

phil.p":8vui8ry0 said:
It's for cleaning and truing grinding wheels. It's a harder abrasive than the wheel is made of, and breaks the surface up. Of course, now a diamond dresser can be used - but I've not found one for 20p.

Oh right, I have one of those, just never heard it called that. I think I paid more than 20p for mine! haha. Good bit of kit though, a lot less destructive than a diamond dresser.

Must admit I had to google it - there's a heavy metal festival apparently... Just wondered if such things could be used as part of flattening oilstones, I got a joblot of very used ones a little while ago - so dished even Jacob might cast them aside! I've tried sand on a paving slab, it sort of works but is rather slow, on the positive side the paving slab has a lovely smooth patch now.

Cheerio,

Carl

I flatten my waterstone on my 12" disc sander, takes seconds. Not sure if this would work on an oilstone but maybe worth a try? I stopped messing with oilstones and rarely use my waterstone once I got some decent diamond hones.

This mornings bargain, some Maun Diagonal cutters, grubby but brand new from the looks of them, jaws in perfect condition. £1.

ED65":1tv79eyb said:
From my first one this year, on Easter Monday. We went to a car boot we haven't visited in a long while and it seemed like it might be the kind of sale with a good few tools on offer and I wasn't disappointed.

rb8Burj.jpg

Eclipse 60B hacksaw frame, haggled down to €2.

Oi! I want my hacksaw back!

Seriously, that was my first ever hacksaw frame, and it's still the one I reach for first.

I've modded mine - filed off the squidged bit that stops it coming apart, added a couple of extra notches so different-sized blades fit, and reduced the length of the pin on the handle, so that, too, comes off easily. Thus it packs down well to fit in a smaller toolkit.

On the nicer-to-use thing, I have mixed feelings. I think it IS easier to be accurate than with the pistol-grip type, but I think it's also more fatiguing. So if I have a lot of rough stuff to do, I use the pistol-grip Eclipse one I have. But that's a nuisance for a leftie though, as its pins stick out to the right (need to get the file out I guess).

Good catch all the same!

E.

PS: Now all you need to find are the clips so that it takes Abrafiles, and a source for those too - even rusty ones are really useful! Loss of Abrafile production was also a huge loss to humanity as a whole!

Just picked up a USA made stanley no4 with a sweetheart blade for £4. Only worthwhile tool on the field!

Local steam fair yesterday, £5.00! Looks like it was just used once, made blunt and left. Luckily not "abused" blunt Also picked up a new/old Norton brand wheel for my hand crank grinder with the small shaft hole, £4.00.

Disston D8.jpg

Attachments

• Disston D8.jpg
    Disston D8.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,106
Very poor selection on both the booties I visited this morning. Only things I bought were a small roll of fabric and a nice pair of Rolcut secateurs, grubby and stiff but the blade looks almost new.

I just picked up an old saw vice in very good condition! It is the type you screw to a board and then place the board in a vice. I know nothing about the manufacturer nor the origin. i will try to put up a picture at a leter date.

Finally time to post the 'after' pics to my purchases now that everyone is in their Sunday best.

First the family photos:

ocYqYKn.jpg

tQZ528o.jpg

My original plan was not to do much to the no. 4 since, but I discovered the flaking finish on the tote had to be removed for comfortable use, so of course the knob had to be done to match. But then they looked out of place on the plane so....

This little chap deserved to have TLC expended on him as he'd had a bit of a rough life, clearly been dropped at least twice and bit by bit the entire litany of problems came to light: the heavy rust first and foremost, also a grooved sole, broken tote, a bent iron and a small crack on one of the cheeks.

And one rare one: a replaced adjustment screw. I was done fairly crudely and naturally it's normally threaded, so adjustment will forever be the reverse of what's expected. As a result the obvious thought is to turn it into a roughing plane since that'll mean the iron rarely needs adjustment, it appears the previous owner had the same idea as the edge was heavily cambered. Not as narrow a radius as on some dedicated scrub planes but enough that the centre projects while the corners remain unexposed.

A reminder of how rough it looked initially:

NOoPr0b.jpg

And how he's looking now:

zWXYzBK.jpg

veT1Emj.jpg

vwDwtot.jpg

Y8xMtd1.jpg

Honestly the flash makes it look a little shinier than it really is in the hand, but I did buff every screw head and all the brass, and since I had the Y-lever out to modify it slightly that too. In for a penny in for a pound!

Back