How times change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of days revisiting my old copies of hobbies weekly. Dating from 1949 to 1954 approx the style of the times is very utilitarian, lots of fretwork AKA, Scrollsawing for the youngsters amongst us, build everything from garden sheds to radios. Lots of pull-a-long toys, toy forts, garages, farms and dolls houses full sized boats and canoes etc. Do kids these days actually play with such things today I wonder. Looking at the adverts my Hobbies A1 fretsaw was £7 19s 6d, still working fine, The wolf Cub electric drill I have in the loft still works and must be all of 60 years old, Likewise my Coronet Major lathe still going strong, a really versatile machine with all of the attachments ever made apart from the grinder. Built to last. Who can say that of things today, so much plastic and tin instead of cast iron. Who was it decided we should sacrifice quality for price. Ok so I love old machines and old books and tools. But the time is coming when I shall have to start downsizing, will anyone be interested in buying to use rather than ending up in collections. What about books and magazines, I do still use them in conjunction with a scanner to print plans but running out of space so they will probably be the first to go. What are they realistically worth.

Magazines probably worth very little I am afraid, tools though might have some value, it really depends on who is buying it and what they intend to do.

Shame you're so far away. I would be interested in all these tools you've mentioned, and not to go in a collection. Even the magazines might be a small mine of useful ideas to peruse on the train into work everyday! I don't have a fretsaw currently (but probably would use one if I had one), and I'd definitely covert and nice old solid lathe (again, I don't have one currently). Got any pictures?

If you are serious about selling, maybe we should talk more...

I guess I would sell the magazines and the A1 fretsaw but not the lathe which is a complete workshop in itself should I end up moving and only have a small space it is the one machine I'd really want. The Wolf cub drill still does a turn and more a collectors item eventually. I guess am open to offers for the fretsaw and the magazines as no real idea what I want. They seem to make £1.75 each on fleabay so maybe £1 each plus postage or collect, was just reminiscing really.

Wildman":p0ex9s3t said:
I have spent the last couple of days revisiting my old copies of hobbies weekly. Dating from 1949 to 1954 approx the style of the times is very utilitarian, lots of fretwork AKA, Scrollsawing for the youngsters amongst us, build everything from garden sheds to radios. Lots of pull-a-long toys, toy forts, garages, farms and dolls houses full sized boats and canoes etc. Do kids these days actually play with such things today I wonder. Looking at the adverts my Hobbies A1 fretsaw was £7 19s 6d, still working fine, The wolf Cub electric drill I have in the loft still works and must be all of 60 years old, Likewise my Coronet Major lathe still going strong, a really versatile machine with all of the attachments ever made apart from the grinder. Built to last. Who can say that of things today, so much plastic and tin instead of cast iron. Who was it decided we should sacrifice quality for price. Ok so I love old machines and old books and tools. But the time is coming when I shall have to start downsizing, will anyone be interested in buying to use rather than ending up in collections. What about books and magazines, I do still use them in conjunction with a scanner to print plans but running out of space so they will probably be the first to go. What are they realistically worth.
Ah, memory lane! Subscribed to Hobbies Weekly in the early 50s and lusted after an A1, but way beyond my pocket money! Had to make do with occasional use of the one in the primary school workshop. You don' t see those today, especially not with an open fire to warm the gluepot. But we were out in the wilds, so had to learn to work with these things. Wonder what happened to the radio built from a HW design based around ex-WD SP61 valves?
And, yes, OP, hang on to that Coronet.

ha ha yes I came across a number of radios to build in the magazines, The coronet includes a saw bench, planer/thickneser, mortiser, linisher, sander, wobble saw blade with comb jointing jig, spindle moulder and a full (well minus one) set of cutters to cover all house mouldings, long hole boring setup and even the Coronet imp bandsaw although this is a stand alone jobbie. Added to the fact that it was a one off machine with a 6ft bed, originally supplied to make standard lamps. It is a machine I lusted over all my working life, well that and/or a Kity combination setup. I finally bought one as a rusty heap 5 years ago, luckily it was only superficial rust and when assembled it was all there. The quality is superb I cannot fault it.

Back