Car boot finds.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks suspiciously like my Edward Preston. the name is stamped on the blade and on the front of the plane. If so, £4 is a very good price.

Just for the sake of accuracy that's a try plane not a block plane.
It's also a bargain!

ndbrown":18jnxi8j said:
I have been going a bit more recently but still very variable in terms of what is available on the woodworking front.
Most weeks I manage to find at least one chisel worth saving, todays example was purchased for 50p and I think the seller felt a bit embarrassed asking 50p for it but it had the key things I look for in a chisel these days:

1). Bevel edge pattern (I already have enough mortise and firmer chisels!)
2). Decent length of blade remaining
3). Not obviously bent or twisted
4). The older style hand forged neck
5). Made in Sheffield
Although I could not read the manufacturers name at the time; it looked salvageable and I needed a 1" chisel anyway. As usual it looked like it had been more recently used for opening paint tins amongst other things. It definitely had the worst condition handle I have seen recently!

As bought this morning:

Old style neck;

Underside of chisel:

Once home I could see it was a Marples, so a decent buy at 50p.

A couple of hours this afternoon had it cleaned up. Removed the remnants of the handle and salvaged the brass ferrule. First working through some emery paper 120/240/400 and then 800/1000 wet and dry on the underside had it looking like this:

There was still some light pitting but not enough to make further metal removal necessary. Moving to the top side with a wire brush and then the emery cloth again on the glass plate, I got the worst of the top side cleaned up. I always black oxide coat the top just to even out the colour of the metal and the chisel was now looking a lot better.

You can easily see the Marples name now:

I turned up a new handle in Ash, copying the style of another Marples chisel I have with an Ash handle and fitted the rescued ferrule. So here is another rescued chisel for future generations and hopefully some use for me as well! Just need to get around to sharpening it now.

Nice save and another tool saved from the landfill.

David

Back