Car Boot find - can anyone date it for me please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottlefley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Experts, having been inspired but he various threads on here talking about car-boot finds i decided to take a trek to my local car boot at the weekend and found this saw.
Managed to get it for the princely sum of £1.50 and was wondering if anyone could give me any extra info on it. I see it is a Tyzac sons and Turner Tenon saw but was curious as to roughly how old it might be.
Thanks for any help guys and keep up the good work :D

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 1,267
I'm no expert although I have several such saws.

The handle shape and the three attaching screws are your usual means of identifying ( no sheet Sherlock) and being a recognised name should be easy to identify with a little Google research.

The relatively ornate handle design was inclusive up until the late 1950's/60's when the handle shape became distinctively more bland due to mass production .

Sorry to be of no real help but I hope you have fun researching and restoring it and be sure to post any findings.

David

The Non Pareil "Elephant Brand" was used by Tyzack of London.

They were a tool distributor and would have arranged for their branding on these saws which were made elsewhere.

Pedder had a similar saw and thread HEREl

That may help you a bit!

Jimi

Can you post a picture of the other side the handle, showing the saw nuts?

I suspect they're the old "split nut" style, and I further suspect your saw is quite old, certainly (at least) pre WWII.

BugBear

Thanks for the help and thanks for the Link jimi43, very informative.

So looks like it could be very old indeed, i like the thought of using a saw that has been used for many decades! i am hoping to straighten the blade, it has a bit of a bend in the middle, and then clean it a little but keep it looking old. Really just want to get it usable, any tips on straightening the blade, can i just whack it a few times with a hammer?

Bugbear as requested here is a picture of the other side of the handle, looks like they are split nuts to me...

IMG_2299.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,071
Jimi is quite right that Tyzack were a London tool distributor of very long standing; however, the firm of Tyzack, Sons and Turner (no relation, I think) were a Sheffield firm of long standing - 1867 to 1990. They made a great variety of tools including top-quality saws, bricklayer's trowels, and in their latter years, automotive components.

Tyzack Sons and Turner used the 'nonpareil' and elephant logo for many years - I have a couple of 1980's saws with the same markings, but stamped on the spine in the case of the backsaw, and etched on the blade in the case of the handsaw. The medallions are not decorated as yours is.

My apologies to bugbear here for stealing his thunder - the use of split nuts went out of fashion some time around 1920, so the saw is older than that. Dating it accurately is difficult, but we can say it's between 1867 and about 1920.

Straightening sawblades is quite difficult - please don't try just whacking it with a hammer; you really need to know what you're doing to have success thiat way. However, a trick that does often work with backsaws is to stand the saw upright on a piece of scrapwood, teeth to the wood, and spine upwards but horizontal (in it's 'normal working' position, if you like). Then tap the back of the spine with a wooden mallet - this reseats the blade in the spine, and sometimes stiffens them up. May not work, but well worth a try.

Wow...name like that...I always thought they were the same mob!!

Not exactly "Smith" is it! :O)

Thanks for the correction CC.

I'm off to look at the origins of that name...it seems Eastern European.

Jim

jimi43":3dvt9i2g said:
Wow...name like that...I always thought they were the same mob!!

Not exactly "Smith" is it! :O)

Thanks for the correction CC.

I'm off to look at the origins of that name...it seems Eastern European.

Jim

This page - and site - may help.

http://www.tyzack.net/hackney.htm

It does say:

"Sheffield born Henry Tyzack, the sawmaker, was thirty years old in 1839. He was at that age when the ambition of youth blends with the confidence of maturity. At thirty, unable to resist the lure of a good market for saws, he moved his family to Shoreditch. They settled in Curtain Road."

So....um....(scratches head)....they ARE the same family but I am wrong in thinking they were just a distributor....they started out as THE saw maker?

When I was research "Norris"....

DSC_0198.JPG

...I didn't pick up on that at all...or maybe I did and the old grey cells are entering "goldfish" mode! :oops:

Jimi

Back