Car Boot Find - identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyRabb1t

Reaction score
Hi Chaps and Chapesses

I bought a saw today at the large car boot sale held every Sunday at matford in sunny Exeter.

I was attracted to the name on the saw, and managed to haggle the price down to a princely sum of 50p!

etegevav.jpg

ta2a8ure.jpg
ede9y5a7.jpg

Would any of you fine people be able to identify a date of production and a model type?

After a limited amount of investigation I beleive it to be a steel backed No 13 dovetail saw.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello CrazyRabb1t, and welcome to the forum!

William Tyzack Sons and Turner were a long-established and well respected maker of many things including saws, at various sites in Sheffield between 1867 and 1990.

Dating any saw exactly is pretty tricky, but there are a couple of clues that help a bit. The style of saw-screw (from what I can see, it seems they are not the old 'split nut' type) suggests 20th century, and the style of lettering on the stamp on the back, with serifs on the letters, suggests earlier rather than later 20th century. Tyzack's handles stayed better-shaped for longer than most, though there aren't many clues here - that style lasted from sometime about the earlier 19th century until about WW2; it's in good shape, too - the top horn is intact, one area that seems prone to damage. I'd tentatively suggest it dates from between the two World Wars. As to model number - sorry, no idea.

Given a bit of a clean-up, that'll be a nice little user as long as the blade is straight. It looks as if the teeth need a sort-out, but judging from the clip at the heel of the toothline, the saw hasn't done a great deal of work in it's life.

I'd say that's 50p very well spent!

CheshireChappie

Thanks for the welcome and diligent reply!

I am hopefully going to clean it up with the intention of selling it - although I am sure once spruced up I will be hard pressed to sell it.

Will hopefully do a WIP of the clean up so that others can offer ideas on how best to do it.

I fear I may now have caught the bug on buying old tools!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back