Toy box/chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In time honoured memzey tradition, after starting the box I got distracted, had to do a bunch of other stuff for SWMBO, went on holiday, then knuckled down and actually finished this project, all without updating this thread :). Before I put up the photos of the finished piece I’d like to share the finishing requirements as expressed by the client:

memzey - how would you like your slime box to look sweetheart?
memzey’s 8yo - Hmmm, have you got any pink paint daddy?
memzey - <grits teeth> err I haven’t got any in my shed baby but I can get some. Are you sure that’s what you want?
memzey’s 8yo - <sucks thumb and plays with hair a bit> No. I want it to be shiny.
memzey - Shiny?
memzey’s 8yo - Yes. Very shiny.
memzey - Ok baby. Very shiny it is then.

The proof:
bFhpLwX.jpg

C81OHgP.jpg

oaVLGZn.jpg

Here is what the storage trays look like when stacked up inside:
0EjlNCV.jpg

Finish for the inside was shellac and hard wax polish. For the outside I used a durable PU varnish. Fingers crossed it will last and sorry for being so tardy with respect to updating this thread!

Comments and feedback welcome.

Shiny is the new pink!
I knew that girl had good taste. 8)

Far too god for a toy cheat though, can we have a pic next year when its been used as a castle, home for rapunzel, speaking podium, dressing up box, thing to hit elder sister with, etc etc like all other girls stuff is? =D> =D>

Very nice indeed, but I can see through your devious plot!
What tools is she getting for her ninth birthday, to go in her new tool chest? :)

looks very good, I like the thin pins on it, I hope she's happy with it after all that work.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. She loves it and can now happily play without risking the wrath of her mother all the time! Only problem is daughter #1 and wifey are jealous and want something for themselves as well. I’ll have to squeeze those in along with the kitchen build I have been commissioned to do!

That looks fabulous Memzey. My hat is well and truly off. I'm sure your lass will treasure that forever when she's a little older and realises. Until then there's sandpaper and refinishing for the occasional (cough) minor scuff. (hammer)

Cheers Chris - my thoughts exactly on the fixability going forward. Hopefully it will last long enough to see out her current interest in slime making and be put to use caring for her next fascination. I can see myself making a few fixes to it along the way though I must admit! It may even acquire a few hinges along the way as well. Who knows? Let’s see.

Yeh funny thing. Kids.
At first.
I don't want to share familial problems online but...
My eldest, we don't think there are any major behavioural or medical issues. So that's good. He should fetch a great price as an organ donor online.
Same for my lass except displaying a psychological mania for singing stuff.
Will literally sing what she's doing to a epic imaginary rock audience 24/7.

I'mmmmm doooooooinnnng myyy Teee----eeeethhhh!!!
Itttttssss preeetttty awesoooomeeee!
I-have-to-go-to-schooo---ooooo-hoooole soooon.
I doooon't like Staaaacey!!!!!
Sheees prettty stinkkkkkkyyyyyy!
#-o
Mah God love. Please. Just. Stop!

Loooool! My eldest two are the same! Does yours do the musical.ly thing with the little music videos on a phone as well? My 13yo thinks she’s a cross between Beyoncé and Kim K

Bm101":26w753pg said:
Yeh funny thing. Kids.
At first.
I don't want to share familial problems online but...
My eldest, we don't think there are any major behavioural or medical issues. So that's good. He should fetch a great price as an organ donor online.
Same for my lass except displaying a psychological mania for singing stuff.
Will literally sing what she's doing to a epic imaginary rock audience 24/7.

I'mmmmm doooooooinnnng myyy Teee----eeeethhhh!!!
Itttttssss preeetttty awesoooomeeee!
I-have-to-go-to-schooo---ooooo-hoooole soooon.
I doooon't like Staaaacey!!!!!
Sheees prettty stinkkkkkkyyyyyy!
#-o
Mah God love. Please. Just. Stop!

I had a daughter like that. We invoked a 2 door rule: 2 doors shut between her and any adults when she was singing. Her voice was just so damn powerful that 2 doors was never enough.

Great work memzey =D>
The way you've got that bit of end grain showing through on the lid so that it completes the height of the dovetail on the box is just stunning - amazing attention to detail that wouldn't have even crossed my mind!

Thanks Ray but I have to say that is was not all hand tool work (far from it). Planing and thicknessing was all done with machinery as was cutting the stock to rough width and length. I’d love to do more projects with only hand tools but with a full time job, wife and three kids all competing for my time my chances of doing so are slim are best!

BM - the lid was made as part of the box and then cut off meaning that the dovetails on the corners were already made and didn’t need any further thinking about. Just as well really as there’s no way such points would have registered on my radar either!

Latest posts

Back