Car boot buys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
First, thanks for all previous comments. It's great to find out what things are, the history, & value.
Now collecting as the fancy takes me, although learning to use is my main aim. Holding something a craftsman has used for years is a buzz!

Right, I bought these 2 items & have done my usual snoop around the internet & not come up with much. I know the saw is a Tyzack & the plane is a V & B, but can't find much info on either. Handles on both seem in good nick.
Any comments?
Oh; for those interested the saw was a quid & the plane £4.

Ta.
_MG_9621tn.JPG
_MG_9618tn.JPG
_MG_9617tn.JPG

Attachments

• _MG_9617tn.JPG
    _MG_9617tn.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • _MG_9618tn.JPG
    _MG_9618tn.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,167
  • _MG_9621tn.JPG
    _MG_9621tn.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,167
V&B is Vaughan & Bushell (I hope the spelling is right), made in USA. The planes are actually steel (not cast iron), drop forged (it says so in front of the knob). In spite of their "Bedrock" look, they do not have "Bedrock" frog/frog receiver faces.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

As Vann says, the V & B is Vaughan and Bushnell, the Vaughan is now the maker of expensive hammers. Drop forged steel as opposed to cast iron makes them a bit more durable, and a faux Stanley frog mating sirface had them known as 'baby bedrocks' in their day. I had one for a couple of quid from a car bootsale last year which started out like this

and sympathetically cleaned up a bit like this (it came with the Stanley iron, V & B irons are like rocking horse sh..)

There are collectors for these, especially in the USA, which is where mine ended up.

Thanks Vann:)

Scouse; Wow!! What a transformation. Can I ask how you cleaned it up. Mine will stay though:) & thanks for the info.

kreed":13ktqan3 said:
Can I ask how you cleaned it up

There are as many opinions as to the best way to remove rust from a plane as there are the best ways to sharpen the blade!

Personally I use electrolysis for planes, mainly because, aside from a wipe at the end, the electricity does the work for you.

Here's a link to another plane I did which explains the process (half way down the page)

old-tool-renovation-wip-t52432.html

and here's the post I learned how to do it from

electrolytic-derusting-my-experience-wip-t17388.html

Thanks Scouse. (worked in Huyton for 13 years, always been a Toffees supporter).

Your saws would have been sold as a "nest of saws" with a single removable handle. It's an idea that lasted a long time though to my mind there is not much benefit except that it would have needed slightly less space in the toolbox.
The slender keyhole and compass saws in your example need very careful use to avoid buckling them.
In my opinion there are better framed saws for cutting curves. Straight cuts need a broader blade.
One special use was to cross cut a floorboard, starting from a small hole drilled beside a joist.

Ellis, I don't s'pose you happen to know if V&B irons were thicker than Stanleys? Yours looks like it has a very wide mouth gap.

Back