Capacitor problems, advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Success, the motor starts and spins!! I owe a big thank-you to the help I got on here, but especially to Guineafowl21, for taking me through the diagnostic process stage by stage.
Now I can marry it to my saved from scrap Myford ML8 and enter the wonderful ( I hope) world of wood turning, although I am slightly hampered by my dear wife who doesn't like turned objects that much, Oh well. Still once again thank-you one and all.
Gareth
Well done!

That was easier than I thought it would be - thankfully we didn’t have to disconnect all the windings and start from scratch.

A couple of final jobs:
1. Measure resistance (200 ohm range) between the earth pin of the plug, and the motor casing. Should be low.
2. Measure between each of the terminals (1,2,3) and the motor casing. Should be high [1.__].

Ideally, these tests would be done with a high current earth bond tester, and a megger. Better than nothing, though.

Great results, kudos to guineafowl21.
I have just returned from hospital following a heart operation which is why my participation in this stopped suddenly, sorry for that.

I think you can be excused for not continuing your participation in this thread and I wish you a full and speedy recovery. I am waiting until silly season is over then I will get myself a modern stop start switch for the lathe and wire it in properly. The antique MEM tin box switch I had in stock now looks a bit dubious, and I have no idea what it is rated as as its labels are almost unreadable now.

Back