Can't find anything anymore!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoffy

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably like most my workshop sort of 'evolved', with new cabinets and shelves added as time went by. Well a few weeks ago I decided to rationise and organise everything, I built nice new cupboards that had a place for every tool and piece of equipment, all very neat with no awkward places for dust to build up, I was so very smug with my efforts. The problem is that when I want something I picture it in my minds eye where it used to be stored! So now I have to hunt through all these nice new cupboards to find whatever I am looking for. Does anyone else have this problem.

Definately! Normally when I decide when there is 'A Better Place' to keep something. A bit like your god self and the 'better' workshop storage.
xy

Sounds good.
Next workshop I have, I promise myself that I will not have a mish mash of any old storage I can find.
I will use or make proper cupboards with doors so I don't spend half my life cleaning (and breathing) dust out of the corners of cupboards. I will also fix the cupboards off the floor so I can just sweep under them. all cables and extractor tubing will be banished from the floor for the same reason. Think this will happen ?

davin":17yt4dev said:
Sounds good.
Next workshop I have, I promise myself that I will not have a mish mash of any old storage I can find.
I will use or make proper cupboards with doors so I don't spend half my life cleaning (and breathing) dust out of the corners of cupboards. I will also fix the cupboards off the floor so I can just sweep under them. all cables and extractor tubing will be banished from the floor for the same reason. Think this will happen ?

This was my plan too, the cupboards all go right to the floor so no dust can get underneath, I am really pleased with it all except I spend ages looking fo stuff.

I frequently go through the drawers under my bench to see what is lurking at the back. Usually an impulse buy and never used... :(

I did have to apply a bit of lateral thinking a few months ago. I needed a particular sized small box spanner. I knew where the set was. Only the size I needed was missing. I hunted high and low without success.

Then :idea: . I thought 'What else uses that size'? Bingo...the spark plug on the chain saw and 'Lo' - indeed - there it was, buried under the chain oils and two-stroke mixture.

Likewise 19mm sockets for the bar on mine. :) Tuesday morning we're moving house for the third time in 16 months, and most of my stuff's been in storage for a year longer than that - so in the new year I'll be sorting the garage out and unpacking stuff I won't even remember having. :D. The other day I came across a bag with probably £100's worth of chisels that I'd forgotten buying - and at the price I pay for chisels, that's one load of chisels.

Biiiiiig labels on every cupboard and drawer listing contents until you get used to it. I have the same problem in my van!!

I label all of my draws etc.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418585575.264308.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418585575.264308.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418585575.264308.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 958

Latest posts

Back