candle holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am turning a blank 3x2 and instead of a bowl am going to put a tea light candle in it.
Would it be an idea to cut the hole in the blank with a router, I may be able to set 2 tea lights in side by side.
What are your veiws on this?
I have not started yet.

Caretaker wrote
Would it be an idea to cut the hole in the blank with a router, I may be able to set 2 tea lights in side by side.
Reg,depending on the size of candle i would use a forstener bit to drill the hole,or even turn it/them on the lathe :)
Paul.J.

Depending on the size of hole you need, you can turn it easily using a narrow bowl gouge. Don't know if this is the 'correct' technique but it works for me. Much easier than trying to faff about with a drill

Pete

Paul.J. wrote
or even turn it/them on the lathe
Then again Reg,i doubt that you could turn 2 in 1 on the lathe,unless there is some special way,jig to do it :roll:
Paul.J.

Off-set turning, use a glue block on the back of the blank to take screws and mount on faceplate.
Turn blank to shape, then reposition the blank on the faceplate to centralize each candle hole in turn, bore the candle holes.

Remount blank on lathe, cole jaws, jamb chuck, doughnut chuck or whatever and finish base.

By no means the only method but one that needs the minimum of fancy hardware.

Back