Can you identify this timber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a wardrobe bought by my parents back in 1957.

Im not sure if it's a veneer?..... as the inside of the door looks similar in pattern but is obviously not sanded to a finish.

2015-01-23 14.40.17.jpg

2015-01-23 14.40.03.jpg

Any advice on a timber type? Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-01-23 14.40.17.jpg
    2015-01-23 14.40.17.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 2015-01-23 14.40.03.jpg
    2015-01-23 14.40.03.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 224
The bottom picture looks akin to Iroko but the top picture doesn't, it reminds me of light Walnut. Wouldn't like to say for sure though.

Top picture could be Zebrano (zebrawood). Almost certainly a veneer. (But if you can you see full endgrain on the top and bottom of the panel then it may be solid timber). Bottom picture a cheaper balancing veneer.

To be more serious, could the exterior be olive ash?
Might be a clue to know if it was new in 1957, given what was fashionable at different times. From memory (oh dear, the 1950s are still fresh in my mind) ash was not then a fashionable timber, so my suggestion is probably way off beam.

dickm":166pa5n0 said:
No idea as to timber type, but a wardrobe with that figure on the doors would keep me awake at nights!

Me neither, I`m afraid, but as a child in the fifties I remember being kept awake at nights by just such a wardrobe - a product of highly figured veneer on the doors and an overactive imagination on my part.

I think it is probably Burmese Teak or at least a Teak substitute like Afromosia. Very 50's!

Chrispy":3dj5g57g said:
I think it is probably Burmese Teak or at least a Teak substitute like Afromosia. Very 50's!

Thank you! Afrormosia! I was racking my brain, as I'm sure I've seen this (top) grain before.
Not the usual grain for Afrormosia though, Then came Iroko.
We had loads for shop fronts, boats, etc, as Teak was so expensive.
Rodders

ScouseKev":3pv9j95n said:
So am i right in thinking that it's definatley a veneer?

I would imagine so, look at the top and bottom edges, you should see the edge framing, about 20mm x 30mm and then the edge "lipping".
Biggest give away would be the weight, If you can lift the door easily, without going purple,It'll be a flush veneered door.
If it's really heavy it will likely be a fire door. Regards Rodders

Back