Can you ID these please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I look at one piece and think Oak, then another and say Walnut then another and think its something else etc etc Whats your thoughts

Pictures are of two different pieces which look like they was brought as a set due to colour and style.

ID1.jpg

ID2.jpg

ID3.jpg

ID4.jpg

ID5.jpg

ID6.jpg

Attachments

• ID1.jpg
    ID1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 217
  • ID2.jpg
    ID2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 217
  • ID3.jpg
    ID3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 217
  • ID4.jpg
    ID4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 217
  • ID5.jpg
    ID5.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 217
  • ID6.jpg
    ID6.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 217
I would say fumed oak, particularly in the 4th picture which seems to show the rays.

Rob Platt":dfi76i5e said:
if its all the same wood?
american black walnut
all the best
rob

Just what I asked the wood yard to quote me for, am I just second guessing myself or are there any other votes for fumed oak or other?

If the furniture is modern High street type stuff it's far more likely to be stained Birch or Aspen, grain is far too tight for Oak and if you look closely the stain is a little blotchy which is typical of Birch.

Just my tuppence worth

Cheers

Richard

difficult one, I can see why you think Oak because there appears to be some ray fleck, but it doesn't look like Oak to me. I first thought that it was Sapele, then someone else suggested Birch and I went and had a look at some Birch ply, I would go with stained Birch.

I would also go for stained birch or aspen or possibly poplar ( tulipwood), it is not Oak or Black Walnut as the grain is to tight.

Tom

Hudson Carpentry":v18o8ov8 said:
Birch it is then thank you. I have never used it away from ply wood, is it suitable for a diner table?

It moves very much. Very, very much. That said it's been used for all kinds of things here for decades and some of the older stuff is still around. I would not agree about it being birch though. I've never seen the medullary rays like in the pic above in birch. I would hazard a guess it's figured beech, although the grain on some of it certainly suggest birch.

Could it be a mix up of timbers? I may send the images off to the wood yard to see if they can help.

Pics 1-4 is of a table and pics 5 & 6 is a side board.

Okay my tuppence worth, it is definitely not oak or walnut, it could be birch with a heavy stain on it but i think it is American cherry with a heavy stain on it.
confused? You will be!!

Back