Can you help identify this tool please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

My son bought a tool at a car-boot. It looks cool - but what on Earth is it?? My guess is that it has to do with measuring hole sizes - but really don't know!

Any ideas???

Many thanks,

Bill

1692611009247.png

How big is it? Could it be for flaring the end of brake and clutch pipes when making joints?
Hi - I've asked my son for dimensions - should have thought to to do so before! Sorry! D'Oh!

Another kind person has suggested that it is a vehicle clutch alignment tool - and I think that he may be right.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

All the Best!

Bill

Last edited:
Looks like a clutch alignment tool.
Hi Daniel.

Thanks for that - I think that you are correct! I've looked C. A. Tools of the web-thing and can see images that are similar enough to convince me that you have it nailed. I've changed two clutches in my time and didn't have access to (or knew of the existence of) a universal tool. I used a scrap gearbox shaft in both cases. I can see how a tool like this would have helped.

Thank you for a). sharing your knowledge and b). taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Bill

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for that - I think that you are correct! I've looked C. A. Tools of the web-thing and can see images that are similar enough to convince me that you have it nailed. I've changed two clutches in my time and didn't have access to (or knew of the existence of) a universal tool. I used a scrap gearbox shaft in both cases. I can see how a tool like this would have helped.

Thank you for a). sharing your knowledge and b). taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Bill
Yes, I’ve used something similar to this when a lad for clutch changes. Also used a broom shaft pared down, much easier to align the clutch with the right gear.

100% clutch alignment tool......still use mine........
ohhhhh, it's still has it's wooden box......now thats sexy......
sorry I'm a sad person.....with a love of old tools n things....but not old women......hahaha...

Old British Clutch aligning tool.
Still god on some MG's.

If it is a jointed box, from decent wood it would of been a higher end manufacture.
Glued ply wood, same tool likes of Leyland cars.

The value of it comes if the box is clean, with a label and very rare to find paper instructions.

Might it be a swageing tool for lead pipe to make wiped joints? Though I have no idea what the chunky washers might be for?

The what appear to be cutter teeth on the small end suggest strongly that this is a tap seat cutter.
Oh, OK! Then it must be a swage, as Cooper says, and the washer is just to keep them all together!

Probably lead pipe swages, when I started work as a maintaince fitter for a water company in the 1970s there were a few of them thrown under the bench in the workshop, long after lead pipe was discontinued.

Latest posts

Back