Can I cut perspex/plexiglass with a bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title really, I want to make a complex, curved shape from plexiglass or similar, could I cut this with the finest blade I have on the bandsaw or would I encounter cracking or melting issues?
I don't know anyone with a flatbed router which I guess would be the ideal solution...

You have not mentioned what blade you have on your saw.
I have done only straight cuts on 3 or 4mm perspex.
Once using a 6TPI blade with some fraying,
and another time with a finer blade and I think I got much better results.
I would have to check the TPI on that one.
Perspex was cutting at full speed on both machines with no melting, nor difference cutting on the big saw at half speed.
Ian at tuffsaws has the blade for you if the curves can be done.
I don't know what a flatbed router is, but I recon the perspex would gum up around the cutter in a millisecond.
Tom

If you have variable speed, set it to the slower speed and take your time, with a sharp blade it will cut very well, I do it all the time. You don't want the teeth too fine otherwise they get hot, I use a 10 or 14 tooth which works great.

If youre talking about a router table, forget it, the perspex would melt over everything and the cutter would not be reusable.

A fine tooth bandsaw at slow speed would work. I've cut some on my bandsaw but normal woodworking speed just melted it back together after the blade passed by.

a router will machine it with a nice clean finish, you will need a solid carbide spiral cutter for aly / plastics though.

You should have no problem whatsoever.Unless the plastic is exceptionally thin,you probably won't even need a special blade either.It may be worth sliding a plywood or mdf false table into place to eliminate the risk of chipping.Routing can get interesting as you can generate enough heat to fuse the swarf into a mass behind the cut.

Just done this with some 10mm plexi. At least i think it is as it came from a youth offenders unit and was apparently very expensive. I just cut it with the blade in my bandsaw , which i think from memory is a 14 tooth 6mm wide blade. I never thought to change the speed and it cut ok.

Steve Maskery":p0t2hvhn said:
Are you sure that it was not polycarbonate?
Similar rules apply, of course.

I was about to ask the same question and likely to be nominal 12mm if poly. A lot of years ago but that was one of the standard materials we sold into prisions and institutions. Can't recall ever selling 10mm acrylic though.

I don't know to be honest. I just know it came from a young offenders unit and has been used to make several jigs and patterns. I thought it 10mm but it could be 12. It cuts and drills cleanly.

skipdiver":19k25yng said:
I don't know to be honest. I just know it came from a young offenders unit and has been used to make several jigs and patterns. I thought it 10mm but it could be 12. It cuts and drills cleanly.
A great find though. Cost a fortune when I supplied it though that was 25 years ago.
I've still got some offcuts.

Thanks everyone for the information, sounds like I should be fine to cut it with what I have.
My bandsaw only has two speeds and I believe it's set on the slow speed currently, should I tend to be cutting wood on the faster speed? I just left it how it was set when I bought it (second hand)

Latest posts

Back