can anyone recommend a timber merchant/ wood store?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Hello.I'm a bit of a newbie on here but I was looking for some advice. I've just found out that my favourite timber merchant/ wood store (John Boddys North Yorks) has gone into administration so I'm now looking for a new source. I can get hold of timber to order - thats not a problem but I really enjoyed their walk round wood store, where you could pick out the pieces that caught your eye. Can anyone recommend somewhere that does something similar. It doesn't have to be in my area (west yorks) I'm prepared to travel for the right pieces.

John boddy has been taken over by associated timber and has moved premises. I spoke to them a few weeks ago and they were about to be relocated nearer to Northallerton I think. Are you sure that they have gone into administration?

I had an afternoon off work just before they were due to move so called in on my way home and filled the car with oak at a pretty good price. I was already missing them, thinking I might make the trip further up north to see their new place at some point. They'd built a new place and have supposedly sold the old site for housing so it's a bit of a shock that there's suddenly no cash left.

Chris

I use Scawton timber near Hemsley Boddy's are now at Brompton on swale near Catterick just of the A1 hope this helps

Associated timber have gone to administration and John Boddy's with them. Perhaps Boddy's were too bog for them to swallow or were perhaps not as healthy as they thought. I must admit that whenever I was in the Fine Wood and Tool Store in recent years it has seemed like being on the Marie Celeste!

As a substitute I would suggest British Hardwoods. Not the same set up as Boddy's Fine Wood and Tool Store but quite friendly to the hobby woodworker looking for small quantities. I was in there today buying some cherry and walnut for next week's course and they were planing some stuff for someone while they waited.

Chris

Back