Can anyone identify this timber please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was writing my timber tech book, Cut & Dried, I undertook research into timber issues including research into oak. At the time I discovered taxonomists couldn't agree on the number of oak species that exist. Numbers for agreed named oaks ranged between 250 and 450 different species. Some reckon that in the northern mountainous region of Mexico alone there are more than 130 oak variants.

One characteristic of the oaks likely to be a significant contributor to their success since they emerged as a Genus some 65 million years ago in what is now Thailand seems to be their ability to hybridise relatively easily. In other words, their rather mixed genetic make-up gives the Genus a relatively nimble ability to, for example, dodge environmental and disease bullets and climate change. It can also lead to difficulties identifying an oak you might come across in a woodland, or elsewhere. I've come across examples that seem to have characteristics that belong to either sessile or pedunculate oak, yet there they both were on the same tree.

To pick up on custard's point, the environmental range of, for example, Quercus alba in North America is large, and the characteristics in the wood of this species varies considerably all depending upon the environmental conditions any particular example has experienced in life, e.g., soil conditions, climate, altitude, etc. Even growing conditions within short distances of each other (e.g., either side of a smallish hill) can be very different leading to marked visual differences in the wood produced. Slainte.

Back