Can anyone identify these please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shirehorseman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have found these on ebay and I have tried trawling the net to no avail,
trying to identify who made them. I can see that they are swiss made and was wondering if they were maybe the identifying marks origionally used by PFEIL, as they are the only Swiss makers that I know of.
I have to say I am quite tempted to bid.
But there is a lot of cr*p out there and I normally only ever purchase a named make like
Ashley Isles
Henry Taylor
or Pfeil etc.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
Trev.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-VINTAGE-SWISS- ... otohosting

Pfiel has exactly the same marking on the side of their chisels.

Hi Wizer,

Thanks a lot Tom, Pfeil are what I was looking at just recently, although I have not got any of those as yet, I quite fancied some of them.
Thanks a lot my mate.
Once again, thanks for the badge.
Regards.
Trev.

Hi hc,

Yes I had noticed, and he also states that there is light rust with
no pitting, but just to make sure I have emailed him to clarify that this is the case, because like you I have to admit it does look a bit worse that
his description.
But I appreciate you pointing it out as I could have quite easily missed it.
But if it is only light surface rust I can soon sort that.
Many thanks once again hc.
Kind regards.
Trev

Those are PhIel Carving tools,I have quite a few of them too and they work great(but if you leave things in the rain they will rust.)Even with that said ,they start here at around 30.00 dollars and up.I do not know how many pounds that is??Looks awful cheap to me,I`d buy them!!Anything can be pollished up...

Hello hc,

I have his assurance that the description is correct, so I'll wait for a bit and see what they go up to and hope against hope that nobody realises what they are, and if they can be had for reasonable money I'll risk it,
if they reach silly money at the death then I'll leave them.
Kind regards.
Trev

Hello Grinding one,

How are you mate, nice to hear from you.
Over here they start in price from about £17.25 ($25.00) up to a max of about £55.00 ($80.00) Although you get what you pay for and I have always tried to get the best that I can afford, I find it works out a lot cheaper in the long term. Quality always lasts as they say. But at this point in time I cannot afford too much so this is why, and If I am lucky, I could get a real bargain here. But like I have already said I'll wait towards the end to see how it goes, if it is only minor rust then it will not pose a problem, I got a Stanley No: 4 smoothing plane once for next to nothing which was in a pretty bad state, took it home stripped it cleaned it and sharpened the blade and have been using it for over twenty years now.
Thanks for all the replies lads.
Kind regards.
Trev

You won`t go wrong with these chisels,I have worked with a few different brands ,but these hold up pretty darn good,I took a 1" slice into my finger without even knowing it till the carving turn red.. :shock: wrapped it up off to hospital and three stiches later back at that carving.But it is always best to hone them a bit as you work...and let them do the work not you....
Happy Carving

Hello Martin,

Yes very true, but they will be way way out of my price range by the time they have finished.
I have some Ashley Isles. a few Crown, Henry Taylor and the first six I bought were some cheap (pricewise) French ones just to see if I could do it, a number of years ago now not sure but I think they were Mule or Mulee or something like that but I have to say they have been pretty good up till now, But having read a few carving books of late I noticed that a lot of the top carvers use Pfeil, hence my interest in them.
Kind regards.
Trev.

Hello Grinding one,

I've had a few nicks and cuts myself, don't know anybody who hasn't, but nothing quite as drastic as that -as yet- I bet you could Pfeil that :lol: :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist that)
As for Happy carving. I am always happy when I'm carving Grinding one,
and laughing when I get it wrong, I don't like to get it wrong, but when I think of what my mum used to say. 'Worse things happen at sea' it sort of puts things into context. I've always told the children when they were small. 'As long as you try and do your best, it doesn't really matter if you fail, it's the trying that matters, if you keep trying eventually things will turn up trumps, that's what I have always found to be true.
Kind regards,
Trev

Yes but at some point the dollars (or in your case pounds) add up.Can not make too many mistakes...
As for cutting myself I just remembered about the class my teacher taught,he said he thought he`d brought enough bandaids with him to their first class....their second class was with Ivory soap,no cuts that night...you have to start slow with wood carving. :lol:
I know you guys like to buy English when ever you can,but Phiel is tops for me,I have tried others....

Back