help with tyzack tool company sheffield england ( modern)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart c

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i have been struggerling with cheap chinese chisels so i bought some marples on flea bay then hit the jack pot on gumtree with this collection comprising of two robert sorby 13 tyzack 2 henry taylor 1 crown 1 gary rance all look like they have had very little use with there stickers still on
i have been trying to find out more on the tyzack brand as these look like new apart from a little light rust in places from storage which i will gentle remove with love and care all i can find on the net is about the vintage chisels are these still being made or does anybody know there aproxamet date and of course value
the value is just to keep the wife happy so she knows not to throw these things out when i meet my maker :lol:

pictures on this link and thank you with any help

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114520622 ... dmqlO7jpgE

Hi Stuart,
Great haul of cheap tools there.

As I understand it, Tyzack,Eclipse and Robert Sorby are now all trade names of the same firm - The Spear and Jackson Group.

In fact your Tyzack tools look very similar to Robert Sorby turning tools to me - same shaped handles and brass butt button.

I don't know whether they are HSS or HCS though. I certainly know that some Tyzack tools are HSS as I have a Tyzack scraper marked HSS. May be worth checking before you start grinding them.

HTH
Jon

Looks like you're set up there. I agree with chipmunk thay your Tyzac tools look to be straight copies of Robert Sorby.

thanks for the info guys they are marked hss is this a problem when sharpening on a grinder i have been grinding by hand with out a jig with those chinese cheapys but i dont want to ruin these ones

No Stuart. If they're marked HSS then they'll be ok on the grinder - although still try not to get them too hot so that they change colour.

If they were not marked HSS then I was concerned they may be just high carbon steel which would be easily affected by too much heat during grinding.

Since they're marked HSS you are a very lucky chap indeed.
Happy turning
Jon

thank you
so much to learn so little time
and very lucky indeed £50 for all of them they just wanted them to go to a loving home i nearly took them to bed last night but the wife started screaming so i'm going to make a wall rack later today thanks again

stuart c":1ma711m7 said:
thanks for the info guys they are marked hss is this a problem when sharpening on a grinder i have been grinding by hand with out a jig with those chinese cheapys but i dont want to ruin these ones

Just to clarify on the grinding use a white/red/blue wheel for HSS rather than the grey one that comes with most grinders. And don't be tempted to quench in water if it becomes hot as it makes the HSS brittle but rather allow to air cool.

cheers i have a blue one fitted and i only grind in short intervals i dont like to many sparks at once it hurts :D

oh dear great timing mr postman the marples chisels have just arrived the wife is now orbiting pluto fear telling her there is still an addis one still to arrive must stay of flea bay for a while

yorkshirepudding":fm7epklo said:
Looks like you're set up there. I agree with chipmunk thay your Tyzac tools look to be straight copies of Robert Sorby.

I suspect that they aren't so much copies, as essentially the same thing. I was pondering over the simialrity of some chisels branded Hamlet Craft tools and some Crown ones. Well, Hamlet are owned by Henry Taylor, and I'm told that they and Crown buy handles from the same supplier, and also blades from the same supplier. Any difference lies in how they finish, sharpen, assemble and brand them.

what ever happend to the good old days of one brand name to a manufacturer it seemed more simple in the 19th century

im now playing in the small out house shed i have got the chinese lathe in by shortening it a bit now trying to get 5 gallons of odds and ends into a pint pot keep coming back to cool down stress level rising while she who must be obeyed is out shopping she looses her shed he who dares rodney gets the space

stuart c":3vi24xec said:
what ever happend to the good old days of one brand name to a manufacturer it seemed more simple in the 19th century

Not true at all - they all sub'd for other, all the time.

BugBear

bugbear":1p4mmgc8 said:
stuart c":1p4mmgc8 said:

Not true at all - they all sub'd for other, all the time.

BugBear

i stand corrected as normal
:D

Tyzac used to make the best finishing trowels for plastering, not cheap either, I bought my last skimming trowel over 20 years ago and still have it, it cost me more than £20.00 then, so there is a reasonably good chance they still make quality stuff.

KimG":2tw872vh said:
Tyzac used to make the best finishing trowels for plastering, not cheap either, I bought my last skimming trowel over 20 years ago and still have it, it cost me more than £20.00 then, so there is a reasonably good chance they still make quality stuff.

I also have a skimming trowel by them when i left school i learnt plastering in the late 80s i remember cleaning the top half with a couple of bricks every now and then its still good and true this is one reason i was surprised not to find any information on the net about these chisels but name changes explain it i have found some one selling a good condition tyzack roughing gouge on flea bay for £40 but i don't know if this is a fair price or just hopeful im watching it to see if it sells or not :shock:

yesterdays efforts of making a compact and bijou working space shall we say tiny and rustic with the wife and kids clutter stuffed into the tiny shed next to it but oh yes i have plans in the future for that maybe wood storage and drying area
and before you say thats a grey grinding disc i changed it for sharpening the gardening hoes and mower blade my blue one is for chisels only
not to bad a set up for a beginner it wont be long before im champing at the bit for a better lathe but it does the job for now pictures on the link below

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114520622 ... vmP8avEhgE

Neatly arranged, Stuart. Just one suggestion - might be worth putting a board or something below the chisel rack so the chisel points aren't exposed. Looks all too easy in a forgetful moment to get puncture wounds :(

dickm":2djh41oj said:
Neatly arranged, Stuart. Just one suggestion - might be worth putting a board or something below the chisel rack so the chisel points aren't exposed. Looks all too easy in a forgetful moment to get puncture wounds :(

thankyou
i have done it very quick this morning very heath robinson but it does the job i may make a proper fancy rack in the winter months

Attachments

• rack 1.JPG
    rack 1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 395
Back