Paint damage to dark Oak lacquered table, any advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-W

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife has a Refectory table in solid oak that was stained a very dark brown/black that we had a longer top made for about 15 years ago, I asked the cabinet maker to match the existing design but add about 9” on each end. I did not ask at the time but I guess he stained the new oak top with a spirit stain then finished the surface with a two-part lacquer. I have given it an occasional polish with beeswax over the years and the finish remained as good as the day it came back from the cabinetmaker….

Until yesterday- when a friend who was helping out with some painting spilt some oil based white undercoat on the top surface, she tried to wipe it off with painters ‘ultra wipes’, that didn’t get it off and when she confessed what had happened my wife tried an old trick used before using Brasso to polish off the undercoat. Most of the paint has now gone and thankfully the lacquer surface has not been damaged. I think the slight change in sheen will be restored when I re-polish the top. The only problem remaining is that trying to buff off the paint has left traces in the surface (similar effect to liming) – about the size of a saucer.

Can any one offer any advise on how best to mask these white flecks on this dark oak tabletop? The paint is well and truly dry now and I guess all the swirling action trying to wipe the paint off has pushed it down into the open grain of the oak.

I'm tempted to try applying colored wax polish or spirit stain over the top of the lacquer but as finishing is not 'my best subject' in the workshop I don't want to do anything that may make it worst!

Mike

I'd have to agree with you that a coloured wax is the best way to proceed. Applying the spirit stain would not be recommended, at least with the wax you can correct it (with a bit of work). What about trying Briwax Jacobean?

WFM

Back