Help with identifying a Sargent bench plane please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miffy

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Sargent bench plane which has been collecting dust in the far corner of my workshop for the last five years or so. Being at a loose end for the past few weeks I thought I would have a go at trying to date this plane. Searching the net opened so many links, I spent hours reading all about these planes. Unfortunately I am no where closer identifying this plane than when I acquired the plane.
So, I was hoping that someone will be able to help me identify this plane,

There are no casting marks on the base apart from a cross (+) under the rear tote and just behind the front knob a brass insert badge reading
Sargent, the plane measures 10 inches long and 2 3/4 inches wide with a 2 3/8 inch wide cutter. the front of the lever cap it has Sargent on it, On the under side of the lever cap and the frog it is marked 418, the blade adjusting screw is a left hand thread and looks like steel.
what is confusing me is that a 418 is a fore plane which is around 18 inches long. The plane is very similar to my Stanley 4 1/2 plane in size. (hammer)
I will try to get some decent photos .

cheers

Sounds like a 418 fore plane got dropped, a bit chipped off, and the owner tidied up the broken end to make a wide smoother. Does the end look like it has been filed smooth? Is there a ridge round the edge of the casting?

Is the toe (forward of the iron) a bit longer than usual?

Hi Andy
the plane doesn't look like its been filed, difficult to tell really. there is no ridge around the casting at the heel.
When you align both the Stanley 4 1/2 along side the Sargent they are very similar and the toe doesn't look longer.

Sargent plane sole.jpg

Attachments

• Sargent plane sole.jpg
    Sargent plane sole.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 462
Back