Can anyone id this tool for brace and bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcookuk

Reaction score
Hi. My uncle recently passed and as we were going through his tools found this tool for his brace and bit. Can anyone tell me what it would be used for?
PXL_20230824_113549619.jpg

That one's a hole cutter. I have one and still occasionally use it. If the blade is ground with the opposite angle, i.e. the point is toward the middle, it becomes a circle cutter. I like the modification: the usual drill bit has been replaced with a centre drill. I'll remember that.

Someone has stuck an endmill in place of a drill. Looks like it was made by a blacksmith - a hole saw would give better results. :rolleyes:

Th slocombe drill look wildly off centre almost making it unusable. unless its an optical illusion?
If you're referring to the centre drill then it is dead on centre. The cutter blade should be inserted from the RHS rather than, as shown, from the left. The main body has a flat on the RHS so slightly smaller circles can be bored when the cutter is pushed fully to the left.
I have one of the 'modern' versions @Spectric mentions: bl**dy useless IMHO. Maybe I was just unlucky.

I have one of the 'modern' versions @Spectric mentions: bl**dy useless IMHO. Maybe I was just unlucky.
I brought the one from Armeg and it works great, you need to ensure the cutters are fitted the right way and not the obvious way. Great for those holes in ceilings as it contains 80% of the dust and also in a pillar drill where you can cut those odd size holes needed when making jigs for the router.

If you're referring to the centre drill then it is dead on centre. The cutter blade should be inserted from the RHS rather than, as shown, from the left. The main body has a flat on the RHS so slightly smaller circles can be bored when the cutter is pushed fully to the left.
I have the Star M version of Spectrics hole cutter and it works very well.

Someone has stuck an endmill in place of a drill. Looks like it was made by a blacksmith - a hole saw would give better results. :rolleyes:
Nothing like an 'End Mill' - did you post without reading @MorrisWoodman12 's post ? As he said, it's a Centre Drill - the perfect tool for the job.

. . . and a hole-saw would not give better results - in the job for which this tool was designed - ie. primarilly cutting large holes in Copper tanks - a hole-saw would clog well before all the teeth had come in contact with the tank.

This is the moderner version I have very handy both cutters are adjustable in and out and reversible to make discs or holes and if careful you can cut a gasket in one shot with cutters set at different diameters
IMG_20230829_143214_078.jpg

I have 2 off the OP tnk/washer cutters.
DSCN2776.JPG

This one was modified to be used on a battery drill.
I use it on header tanks.

This one was found at a local car boot. New nd it its box.

IMG_20181123_093458.jpg

DSCN0939.JPG

This gets used to cut leather washers.
IMG_3856.JPG

Trepanning tool
Not strictly true. Though it could be used as such by fitting an appropriate cutter. A Trepanning tool would have a flat cutting edge rather than a 'point' (oriented either left or right depending upon it intended use as a hole or washer cutter).

To 'Trepan' is to take a thin ring of material out - originally of the skull ! to gain access to the brain :eek: - which (on a lathe) is usually to save material which would otherwise go to waste. A 'Holesaw' could correctly be termed a trepanning tool.

Latest posts

Back