New around here - tool collector / restorer - woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilspe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - recently joined
Love old tools, buying / restoring and selling (although mostly keeping the good ones for myself). Always dabbled with woodwork but finally trying to dedicate a bit more time to it
Here's a few tool restoration favourites. These were had for not much money but were in poor condition. The Fobco and Morso are in regular use at my workshop.
Interesting old corner hand brace which I believe was made by JS Fray ?
The birch ply hi-fi rack is a current project
P1120504.JPG
P1120521.JPG
P1120508.JPG
current project
P1110262 (2).JPG
thumbnail_P1011064 (2).jpg
P1120527.JPG
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Hi - recently joined
Love old tools, buying / restoring and selling (although mostly keeping the good ones for myself). Always dabbled with woodwork but finally trying to dedicate a bit more time to it
Here's a few tool restoration favourites. These were had for not much money but were in poor condition. The Fobco and Morso are in regular use at my workshop.
Interesting old corner hand brace which I believe was made by JS Fray ?
The birch ply hi-fi rack is a current projectView attachment 165651View attachment 165652 View attachment 165650current project
View attachment 165648 View attachment 165646View attachment 165647View attachment 165649
Welcome 🤗 nice work but I’m intrigued, confused by the Siamese brace and brace thingy- I’ve never seen such a tool . ??? What’s it’s purpose or is it just some type of artwork..

I suspect that the whole point of it is to enable drilling close to a wall/ceiling. The 'swelling' where the two handles meet will have a pair of bevel gears inside it.

I suspect that the whole point of it is to enable drilling close to a wall/ceiling. The 'swelling' where the two handles meet will have a pair of bevel gears inside it.

Yes something like that. To use in a tight corner.
There was no makers name on the brace but I was reliably informed it was most likely made by John S Fray, who interestingly was born near to me in Camborne down here in Cornwall. He moved to the states and started a tool company which was later bought out by Stanley Rule and Level Co
http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/Fray2.htm
I didn't play with it tbh, it was bought and sold quickly to a collector.

Yes looking at it now it makes perfect sense- the engineering that has gone into designing and producing that tool is a good example of a quality tool sadly though obsolete in terms of modern day cordless tools .

Back