Camvac/Cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

Established Member
Reaction score
Having read WiZer's post re: remotes etc. reminded me that I emptied my Camvac/DustDeputy combination today after a few weeks of sustained use. The Dust Deputy was filled to the brim and the Camvac virtually empty and the filters clean. Absolutely brilliant! Before fitting the DD into the system, the efficiency would have dropped off very quickly and required cleaning of the filters (3) in the Camvac. The usage has included planer, thicknesser, router table, bandsaw, table saw and orbital sander.One upgrade that has been beyond expectations. After trying several remotes the present one was a cheap set of 4 from Lidl. Been working ok for 9 months (desperately touching wood!).
Cheers,
Jim

I've been using my lidl remotes for about 3yrs and still going strong.

Gower":27mnskcu said:
Having read WiZer's post re: remotes etc. reminded me that I emptied my Camvac/DustDeputy combination today after a few weeks of sustained use. The Dust Deputy was filled to the brim and the Camvac virtually empty and the filters clean. Absolutely brilliant! Before fitting the DD into the system, the efficiency would have dropped off very quickly and required cleaning of the filters (3) in the Camvac. The usage has included planer, thicknesser, router table, bandsaw, table saw and orbital sander.One upgrade that has been beyond expectations. After trying several remotes the present one was a cheap set of 4 from Lidl. Been working ok for 9 months (desperately touching wood!).
Cheers,
Jim

I'm planning a similar setup and was initially thinking of getting a twin motor Camvac 336-4" and then adding a dust-deputy later. However, space and price wise I can see the advantage of getting only the smaller 286 since it'll be the dust deputy that'll need emptying not the Camvac !
Which combination do you have ?

Mark

Hello Mark,
I have the twin motor CV336-2-250 (2.5"). I use it with both motors running most of the time because I have a rather extended system, more than Camvac recommend I'm sure. I've had it for close on 5 years and no complaints. Most books and articles recommend the 4" though.
Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim

Do you have the this little Dust Deputy ?

When you say you have an extended system do you mean you have a permanenty plumbed in system with 2.5" fixed pipe ?

The system I'm planning will be permanently plumbed in and I'm a bit worried about doing this with only 2.5" pipe. Am therefore considering the larger Super Dust Deputy combined, as said, with a 4" Camvac, probably the 36 litre 286 and mainly 4" fixed piping + some 2" to router table, mitre saw etc.
Do you think that sounds like a workable system or based on your experience do you think a 2.5" system would be adequate ? The little dust deputy is certainly cheaper, and smaller :)

Hello Mark
My workshop is quite small (12' x 8'. My wife can't understand why I would want anything bigger!). I have plumbed in a 2.5" system using 2 home made 'distribution boxes', one on each side of the workshop, each containing 4 waste gates. Overall, I pretty pleased but if I was doing it again, I think I would opt for the 4" system. My Dust Deputy is the larger model you mentioned. One thing to consider is that the CamVac container will be almost empty when the Dust Deputy is full so bigger is better.
Hope this helps.
Jim
PS I really must get to grips with uploading photos to the forum, a photo of my setup would be much more helpful. Not enough hours in a day! :roll:

I have gone the route of a dust deputy and a 286 camvac with 2 1/2" piped system. Very happy with it I have cut a lot of MDF recently and the filters in the camvac are still clean.

John,
Eureka! My filing system works. I paid a total of £183.94 incl. VAT and delivery. The part no. is: AXD000002. That is the 'Industrial Dust Deputy 2". Make sure you state the size required. Mine came with an adapter.
Cheers,
Jim

The cyclone. The dustbin lid is not as true cyclone it just kind of swirls the dust round and hopes for the best. They are fairly effective but a proper cyclone is the dogs danglies.

wizer":3v8x797e said:
The cyclone. The dustbin lid is not as true cyclone it just kind of swirls the dust round and hopes for the best. They are fairly effective but a proper cyclone is the dogs danglies.

Wizer, with lines like this you should take up writing technical manuals.
=D>
Cheers,
Jim

i understand about the cyclone Tom but £180 compared to maybe £40 :shock:

the camvac filters do block very fast so anything which can help will be an improvement.

Well no one else bothered to help. I just meant that the basic difference is the shape of unit. The cyclonic action is helped by the cone shape. If you want to do some research on it, Lamar Crafts have a pretty comprehensive selection of links from a turners POV. Of course, if you really want the facts then google Bill Pentz.

An adequate compromise might be the Thien separator. Seems to get good reports, is shorter than a true cyclone and easier to make, whilst better than the usual dustbin top?

Boz

cheers for that Boz, I was desperately trying to find that link this morning and failed ;)

Back