Camellia Oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalvt22

Established Member
Reaction score
I just brought a bottle of Camellia oil from Axminster as I've noticed the very lightest of rust on a couple of my lesser used planes and chisels.
P1070768.JPG

I was wondering if many other people use it and if they do what do they think of it? or is there a cheaper alternative (not a fan of spraying everything with WD40 like I do if my tools get wet whilst roofing etc)? Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

Attachments

• P1070768.JPG
    P1070768.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 166
The question of rust on tools does seem to come round like the seasons in the Hand Tools forum. (But it makes a change from sharpening!)
This threadwas the most recent trip around the topic.

I've got some Camellia oil but not used it much. For small stuff I use Renaissance Wax. The old time solution for measuring tools was Lanolin but it's not easy to apply if the item is too cold as the Lanolin tends to "set" before you can apply it thinly enough. There are several other solutions out there but they tend to come with a premium price tag!

Cheers for your replies guys. I'm going to use it this winter and see what happens. Most stuff in my workshop gets used quite often so I can keep an eye on it anyway!

Comes up a lot this one.
All I can say is that I've never suffered from rust and nor have my tools, in spite of a variety of unheated and drafty workshops. Except when they have got obviously wet - left out in the rain etc. No TLC practiced.
Maybe rust is in the eyes of the beholder?
Certainly non of my tools look shiny new, but non of them are particularly rusty, certainly not so rusty as to be unusable.
Camellia oil? - just another snake oil IMHO.

It is good, though plance socks help if have an anti rust and thinking about location too.

What also can help is rustins machine wax, worth looking at though not cheap but sticks on.

Jonzjob":407vv5kg said:
"Maybe rust is in the eyes of the beholder? "

Oh breedin hell! And there were eye thinkin that it were the brown lumpy stuff of ferrous metal?

Ve liff unt ve learne #-o #-o #-o
There's a middle position, like my 30 year from new 5 1/2. It certainly doesn't look factory fresh. The sole is shiny from use. The sides are grey/black with one side a bit shiny from use on it's side. Visible parts of the blade and the cap iron are also grey/blackish with just a faint freckle of rust. The bits covered are all shiny.
This isn't a rusty plane in my eyes; it's merely as it should be after 30 years of normal use in average environments.

Latest posts

Back