Camellia oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Will camellia oil soked rags or sponges pose a risk of spontaneous combustion in the same way that drying oils such as Tung oil or boiled linseed oil will?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I hope not. I've had a small cloth soaked in camellia oil for my razor in the bathroom cabinet for several months now.

As far as I know, it's just the drying oils you have to worry about, as it's the oxidation/drying that generates heat, but if anyone has knowledge to the contrary (Or can confirm if I'm right.) I'd appreciate hearing it.

I had the same thought/worry about Ballistol after I'd locked the workshop and gone to bed the other night. I'd left a rag in there. The workshop is still there.

Camellia oil is a hair treatment. Peoples' toupees don't burst into flame very often.
I wouldn't use it on woodwork tool though - no fire risk but completely pointless waste of money.
There's a very silly fashion following on from some lunatic reading the Japanese samurai swords are treated with camellia oil. :lol: :lol:

Is it a fashion when people have been using it for at least 30 years to my knowledge ? I thought fashions were supposed to come and go :)

In any case, it does provide a modest protection to hand tools that are in regular use.
It isn't very durable or effective for long term protection but it's a lot better than nothing at all.
I'm sure you're right that it's no better than a dozen other common vegetable oils that are cheaper, or candles depending on use.
But it is a nice light oil that doesn't mess up your wood and you use so little that it's never going to bankrupt you :)

FYI linseed oil is one of the worst culprits for 'spontaneous' combustion especially when combined with raw cotton waste; this hs been a known issue in shipping since the 1920s where bales of cotton inadvertantly soaked in linseed oil took several ships to the bottom.

The mechanism is that the oil oxidises, giving off heat, it is not a great deal but if that heat cannot escape (ie in a nice large bundle) it builds up and eventually ignites the cotton. A single rag on a workbench should not cause concern but better safe than sorry etc.

I couldn't find any information on Camelia oil unfortunately. As to anything else, well its ok but doesn't last long.

I've never used linseed oil so was not aware of that. I know water spontaineously combusts because a long time ago I worked in a waste paper factory. It was quite common to see wet compressed bales steaming in the warehouse, and occassionally we had to pull a stack apart to prevent fire.

I use camelia oil, purely because i was recommended it for cast iron protection. Its ok, it does protect,but not any longer than a hundred cheaper options and when the bottle is gone I wont buy another.

linseed oil (and others) cure by oxidation which generates a little heat. For most purposes this is not an issue but it has been known for loose oily rags to get hot enough burn. They have to be loosely packed in a warm dry place with good air flow for this to happen. If you put them in a container with a lid then no prob.
There are demos on youtube but it's quite hard to actually make it happen- packed too tight or too loose and it won't - it's like kindling.
OK on metal though, absolutely no prob.

Ewan, there should be zero risk of spontaneous combustion as camelia is not a drying or semi-drying oil. That's not to say they're not combustible though so you need to take the same care as needed with any oily rags and keep them away from sources of ignition.

Jacob, as mentioned to you previously (by someone else), Japanese swords are traditionally oiled using choji oil, not camelia. Totally agree on camelia being a waste of money though, many other oils work as well or better that are considerably cheaper.

As an aside, it's interesting what organic has come to mean in laymans terms
In chemistry anything containing carbon is organic.
So Bob, all petrochemicals derive from plant material and thus are organic.

Dont get technical with me on a saturday night boyo, I'm way too far gone to give a smart buttocks answer (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) 8) 8)

phil.p":uv2a1ogi said:
Choji oil is apparently only fine mineral oil and clove oil mixed 99 - 1. If this is so I wonder why it commands such a high price.
Captive market.

You should see what some sources charge for uchiko powder, and the special Don't Use Anything Else tissue (hand made) that traditionalists insist must be used for wiping down blades as part of their regular maintenance.

As the things this is used on can be quite valuable (even a cheaper katana can cost much more than a table saw) you can imagine that some owners are extremely conservative about what they'll let touch the steel.

phil.p":uv2a1ogi said:
It would make your tools smell nice, though.
The smell only lasts in an enclosed space.

For once, I completely agree with Jacob. Camellia oil is a waste of money for protecting tools from rust. The late great Jim Kingshott was an enthusiast for most things Japanese when it came to tools, but not for camellia oil; he pointed out that for that job you need an oil that will stay around for a long time and recommended chain oil. He was right, it's pretty cheap and does what he said; it goes a long way too, I still haven't finished the oint bottle I bought 20 years ago.

Jim

I use it only for blades and it's chainsaw chain oil, haven't had my p/t or bandsaw tables affected by rust.

Jim

Latest posts

Back