calling all diamond stone users.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Previous sound advice from various members resulted in my purchasing a DMT Duo-sharp diamond stone (Fine / Extra fine) which arrived this morning in the post.

I can't wait to get it fired up, but noticed that on the packet it said to be used with water only. This seemed confusing :? - as I am sure I have heard tell that this can be used with a number of different lubricants, eg Oil, WD40, etc?

What lubricant do you use your diamond stone? Appreciate members thoughts before I go and pour oil on the stone and ruin it?

Thanks, Tony.

They are fine with oil, it says so on the FAQ section of their website (edit, I see Gidon posted the link). Any light oil will do (lighter the better). I switched to lamp oil (an Alf tip, paraffin minus the stink) after a tiny corner of one of my stones went a bit rusty using water and missing an edge when drying off. Much less fuss with oil.

Thanks fellas,

I felt sure you were all using other lubricants, and had your own favourites. I intend to use the light honing oil I have been using on my oil stones. See how I go.

Hope to get in the shed after bath time.

Cheers, Tony

My first DMT brand stone (also duo sharp) arived this morning as well so can;t help you there. But on my ezelap diamond stone I like to use ethenol for short sharpening tasks or white spirit / naphtha for tasks that require more time.

I have the duosharp coarse/fine and started off using water. It started rusting soon after so I would put it on a radiator in the house so it can dry thoroughly. The stone kept rusting as I would frequently forget to bring it in so I switched to WD40. No more rust and the chisels and blades get a coating of oil too.

I have one of the continuous DMT stones and have found that CMT Blade & Bit Cleaner (from Axminster) works the best. Keeps the stone clean and rust free too!

WD40 works fine on mine, been using it for years, no problems, no rust, just wipe it off at the end.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I have always used water on mine - I am pretty sure it is not the metal of the stones that is rusting, as it is made of sort alloy, but the iron left from whatever is being sharpened.
I use a small water sprayer, after use wash in clean water and if necessary give them a scrub with a brush. Dab dry with kitchen towel and hang somewhere to dry - no rust!
No messy smelly liquids.

Rod

Just spend a few hous with my brand new DMT duosharp. I like the stone. Altough I mixed up the course and fine side (i'm a tad colour blind so never bother to check the coloured dot. Tthe fine side felt courser at touch)

I sharpened a few plane irons and tried it out for flattening the sole of a no 5 plane that has some twist. I tried various motion techniques and lubricants.

For speed of metal removal:
- water
- ethanol
- white spirit
- WD40
- light machine oil

For longest working time before the stone glzes over:
- light machine oil
- WD40
- water
- ethanol
- white spirit

For easiest to clean
- water
- white spirit
- ethanol
- WD40
- light machine oil

The stoned work best if alternating back and forth movement with diagonal movement (of course not possible when using a honing guide) or for very long object that tend to float more alternating diagonal with sidewards movement while putting the stone and the oject crossways ( + ) .

The DMT cuts faster than ezelaps but are harder to clean. The metal carrier fine grit tend to stay darkish. I recommoend rinsing the stone under luke warm water with some hand soap (from a bottle) and a nail brush to clean off the plastic. Dep the stone dry with a cloth and let it dry leaning vertically against something. The diamond carrier being plated it prob best to use a bit of white spirit or naptha or WD40 to protect the stone from rusting.

Thankyou all for your comments and thoughts.

I sharpened a chisel and plane iron tonight and I am impressed with my new purchase. Very effective cutting action and a lot quicker than my oil stone. I used some Liberon Honing Oil for the lubricant.

I plan to use the fine stone to reform my primary bevel when needed and the extra fine for forming the micro bevel, thereafter a final polish with my Arkansas Hard translucent Stone.

I can't decide yet if I need to use my strop after the above approach and may try a few experiments to determine what is best.

Happy times, Tony. :D

Rod and tnimble, a lot of unnecessary fuss and over analysing I think :shock: :lol:

Small squirt of WD40, sharpen, wipe with paper towel, get on with your woodworking, that's all that is needed honestly......... :D

Cheers, Paul :D

chisel":2v28orxv said:
Small squirt of WD40, sharpen, wipe with paper towel, get on with your woodworking, that's all that is needed honestly......... :D

Exactly the same here - I use either WD40 or 3-in-1 and a wipe with a paper towel. Mine look like this after many years of hard use, so it works (and no rust on anything) :wink:

Competition5.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Escudo wrote:

>What lubricant do you use your diamond stone? Appreciate members thoughts before I go and pour oil on the stone and ruin it?<

The purpose of a lubricant is to prevent contact between two surfaces, the last thing we want between a tool and an abrasive.

A spray of water works OK for me, being less messy or smelly than many of the other thin fluids that will work.

I find that the most importand thing is from time to time to swab away the mud that can get between the tool and the diamonds.

Tony, I've been using water on them for many years and never had a rusty stone or plane blade

Chisel - I don't think using water is " a lot of unnecessary fuss and over analysing ".

I used what it said on the packet.
Unless you are wearing rubber gloves don't your fingers get black and dirty and need a wash?
That's when my stones get washed too! I often just leave them to dry on the draining board.
Nothing fussy or complicated there and better than getting chemicals (oils) on you hands?

Rod

Harbo":5wtme6a2 said:
That's when my stones get washed too! I often just leave them to dry on the draining board.
Nothing fussy or complicated there and better than getting chemicals (oils) on you hands?

Exactly what I thought and did, (apart from giving them a swipe with a rag to dry them off) before the rust hit one time.

Paul Chapman":1ubz41qk said:
Mine look like this after many years of hard use, so it works (and no rust on anything) :wink:

Looks good, Paul. Did you make the stone holders? Are they a box-like construction, or hollowed from a solid piece? Do the stones simply sit in the hollow, or is there a holding mechanism of some kind?

Thanks for any info.

Latest posts

Back