CAD Gallery - Comments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
If we are to keep comments about the CAD gallery separate from the gallery itself, might I suggest here as a place to do it?

Steve,
Thanks for getting the ball rolling, I will add some of my stuff as soon as I get somewhere to keep my pictures on line. (Mutters to self, I've got a tuit somewhere, where is it though?)

A trick you may not be aware of in SU is using the eraser tool with the control key pressed. This 'hides' lines, and would enable you to lose the extraneous ones on your table legs etc.

Nick, I have been using Photobucket.com and it seems to work well for this sort of thing. At least I can see my pictures.

Steve, I was going to mention it but Nick beat me to it. Actually though, the Shift key with the Eraser hides the lines while Ctrl softens. You'll get different results. ;)

Dave,

D*mn, I knew I should have looked it up, and not relied on memory - especially as I can't even remember where my tuit is. :D

opps, in trouble already and i haven't even opened the wine yet :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Andy

never too early for wine.. :wink:

Anyway, two images to start with. The lego car was a test to see what i could do within a time limit. The workwall was yesterdays request from a client. The mapping on the doors is a bit out as i had to stretch this to over 3300mm and the map is only 2000mm at the correct scale.

Andy

Lynx,
That's better! :)

Can I make a suggestion, please? Can you resize your picture? This is easy in XP, as you can right-click and select the option Resize Pictures. One of the options is Small, which creates it at 640x480, and seems to look nice on a "normal" screen. I can't see all of yours at once, as it is too big.

Have you drawn that in AutoCad?

Cheers
Steve

It's modelled 80% in autocad, rest in Max. Image rendered in max using finalrender (cebas)

Andy

DaveR,

What did you use for the Stickley Sideboard rendering? Can't have been Sketchup, surely.

Nick, that rendering was done in Kerkythea, a freeware rendering program. In that particular image my goal was to make the wall sconces look like they're lit. I've been playing with lighting the rest on and off since then.

Just one thought. Is it really sensible to put all the pictures in one thread? For those of us who are still using dial-up it is going to get to be one mighty download.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. Hmm, not sure I have an answer really. We can help by posting small, compressed files, I guess, but it will still grow.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Steve

can these not be added to the "user gallery"?? This then creates a thumbnail

Andy

Maybe the Mods could be presuaded to add a new top-level thingy, don't know what its called, but at the same level as General Woodworking, Hand Tools etc...

Hi Nick

This is not something that Mods can do.

The idea of adding an additional forum has been aired a number of times before and the decision that was taken is that they will not be increased.

What about putting them all together in the user gallery under a new category called SketchUp?

Cheers
Neil

I guess that would work. Please don't call it SketchUp though, alternative CAD products are available, and their output is welcome too. :)

But please get Steve Maskery's input too - after all he started the CAD Gallery thread.

If they are going in a gallery can anyone post there or do you have to be individually registered for the gallery as well? Not that that would be too much of a problem mind.

Andrew

I really don't mind how it is done. I hadn't appreciated the dial-up issues, my only concern was to have a tidy thread that didn't wander off-topic, because that would render it useless, really, if you had to wade through loads of general CAD stuff to get to the interesting pictures.

I'd not thought about the user gallery bit either, perhaps we should just use that as is, and post pics just as we would photos.

I guess we probably need some techie input from Charley on how this can best be achieved.

Help!!!!!!
S
PS Glad to see that the idea is popular, though.

Latest posts

Back