CAD Gallery - Comments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who have seen Steve's article in this month's GWW (and those who have not) there are a couple of points that I would like to comment on.

It is possible to switch between perspective and orthogonal views in SketchUp using the Camera>Perspective menu entry.

SketchUp can import AutoCAD .dwg format files directly using the File>Import menu. There is no need to go via JPEG files. You can also export SketchUp models into .dwg files using the File>Export>3D Model... menu.

Thanks to Steve for his permisson to put these points on the forum.

Hi all,
Yes, Nick is quite right, and I'm as glad to learn from others as I am to pass on what I know. I did know about the Perspective thingy, but I discovered it after writing the article, and it was too late to change it.

As regards the DWG/JPG business, I've just tried the ACAD import into SU, and I've remembered why I use the JPG method. Unless I'm missing something, SU imports the whole of the ACAD drawing, so you then have to go round removing everything you don't want. With the JPG approach, I can select just what I want to export.

Am I right, or am I missing something obvious (not for the first time!)?

BTW, I used to use IntelliCAD, and I know that Nick is a fan. It's just like AutoCAD but a LOT cheaper. I'm pretty sure it used to be free. I have a download labeled IntelliCAD 2000, so it must be a few years old now, and I'm sure it was a legit download at the time. You could upgrade to a Pro version IIRC. Seems like that option has been removed. Pity, as it was excellent.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers
Steve

Thinking about it Steve, there was a download, but I think it was time-limited, 30 days or some such. I would guess that is still available.

Steve, you are correct that the entire CAD drawing will get imported but I think it might be easier to eliminate what you don't want than to trace lines of a JPG.

My experience with DWG and DXF format drawings that I've imported isthat they are frequently quite sloppy. Lines don't intersect or or overshoot other lines. Sometimes they aren't on the same plane. There are several Ruby scripts available to deal with much of those problems so if importing CAD drawings is a common thing for you, you might want to get those scripts.

Dave R":2947e5fa said:
it might be easier to eliminate what you don't want than to trace lines of a JPG.

Hi Dave

I don't have to trace anything. I just draw the profile I want in ACAD and export it as a JPG and import it into SU. It's ready to use. When would I have to trace anything?

Cheers
Steve

Dave R":2l9zm3yz said:
OK, maybe you're showing me something new but I thought a JPG imported as a raster image and not as real geometry.

I thought a curve gets imported as lots of short straight lines. Is that a problem? SU displays curves like that anyway, doesn't it? I though I got "proper" geometry. As I say, maybe I'm missing something.

I only use this sequence for complex curves, like a chair leg, anyway. Plain circles and ellipses are easy enough in SU.

Cheers
Steve

Steve and I have been having a PM conversation behind the scenes here, and one of the things I wondered about was wether ACAD's layers got translated when a model was imported to SU.

Having tried it I can say that they do, and would therefore suggest this as one way in which unwanted stuff could be filtered out. Move the stuff you do want to a (new) layer, and turn off/delete the unwanted layers.

Remember - One Layer Bad, Two (or more) Layers Good. (Apologies to G. Orwell)

Dave R,

Do you know of a b-spline plug in for SU? If there isn't one (and I'd be gobsmacked if that is so) does anyone want to write one?

Steve, you are correct, SU uses a number of short segments to create a curve. I don't know how the number of segments is derived when importing a curve from a DXF or DWG file. Of course you can set the number of segments SU uses when drawing arcs or circles by slecting the tool and then typing the desired number of segemnts followed by the letter S and hitting Enter. i.e You could change the default 24 segments for a circle to 144 by typing 144s Enter. Use that for reducing segments, too to control files size. (see the Friday tips thread.)

Nick, I haven't seen a script for splines or B-splines although there is a Bezier script that comes in handy.

Aldel,
Re: your box rail for the 'Rat, is there any chance you could make the .skp file publicly available?

I am currently trying to find a way of making these files downloadable but I can email them to anyone who is interested. There are two files, one with and one without measurements, each about 150kb in size.

Regards, aldel

aldel":1vp1izgp said:
I am currently trying to find a way of making these files downloadable but I can email them to anyone who is interested. There are two files, one with and one without measurements, each about 150kb in size.

Regards, aldel

Aldel - I'll put them on my website for you. Anyone will be able to download/save them from there if that will help.
Email me the files and I'll upload them if you like. Or if you have a slow connection put thme on a CD and I'll PM you my address.
Regards
Lee.

I am looking for a cheaper alternatve to AutoCAD. What alternative systems would you recommend?

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

There has been much debate recently about which CAD systems are worth using. Among the active users of CAD, most favour SketchUp, though there are several AutoCAD users.

Tony has posted details of a couple of free CAD systems here, but I don't know if anyone is using them.

Doing a search on the forum for any of the words CAD, AutoCAD, SketchUp will give you plenty to look at.

Back