Quantcast

Cabinet making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Locton

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help? i am making a low L-shaped corner cabinet, which way should the grain follow on the top section? or can the grain go in opposite directions?

thanks,

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Locton,
Good Question- My first thought was "mitre it are the corner" but then a wide mitre joint is probably going to open with the expansion/contraction of the timber, especially if it's quite wide.
So, I reckon it doesn't matter which way it goes, as long as it looks right when it place. And of course, attach the top in a way which will allow it to move so it doesn't split along the grain!
Hope this is of help,
Philly :D

p.s. and welcome to the forum too! :D

A

Anonymous

Locton":2tzg8byf said:
which way should the grain follow on the top section?
mmmm... how about to follow the longest arm of the "L" ?

OK, OK, they are even.... so.... I would consider from which standpoint of view it will be seen at a first glance and I would orientate the grain horizontally, i.e. east-west.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.
Alberto

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Locton.

I'll go with Alberto, I think. Interesting question; never thought of it before!

Cheers, Alf

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Warped though it may seem, I tackled this very thing with my first project; 4 L shaped + 5 U shaped (cropped to contour an alcove), with biscuited mitred corners; material was cheap an tres nasty ply edged with mahogany. 3 years on they're still as rough as they ever were, the ony changes being they've darkened with age.

If I were to do it over in solid wood however, I can't say I fancy either option; loking at long grain on one side, with end grain on the other strikes me as being just.....wrong, although Alberto has a valid piont re keeping the grain flowing in the one direction. Even with the pieces of each shelf cut from the same board, a continuously glued mitred joint may fail through slightly unequal rates of expansion / contraction.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
When I make up unusual shaped tops for example to fit into a bay window or corner, I usually keep the grain orientated in one direction, usually parallel to the "average". So in this case that would be at 45º.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
One other option is to make a Mason's mitre (the same as a kitchen worktop joint). Firmly join the front edge and make a sliding joint to allow for movement.

Or MDF top then veneer and apply moulding to front edges.

Or one continuous top and apply a moulding to the end grain using a dovetail fillet, screwed in place, again with allowance for movement .