Buying wood over the internet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgit

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying from SL Harwoods. What is forum members' exerience of buying wood (not sheet material which I think must be more reliable) without having picked it off the rack. I've always done that up to now and left the knotty shakey bits for the next chap. If one buys over the internet does one get good timber or is it luck of the draw as to what arrives.

Hi Bodgit,

Like you, I much prefer to select my own blanks from a shelf in a shop so I can choose the ones without defects & with the best figure, but living in Mid Wales I'm quite a long way from any wood suppliers so if I want exotics I do occasionally buy online.

I have bought a few turning blanks online (both spindle blanks & bowl blanks) from Stiles & Bates, Toolpost. and from Ebay sellers in the past and have been happy with the quality of what I received. I would say most of the blanks I've bought that way have been rather bland in the way of figuring, but none had defects like knots or cracks.

The main advantage of buying via ebay sellers is that you usually get to see a photo of the actual blank you are buying/bidding on. Some sellers have several photos of the blank showing different sides/angles which is helpful. However, I have found that buying on Ebay works out rather expensive because of the shipping costs, and using a supplier like Stiles & Bates who offer a flat rate delivery charge up to a certain weight is more economical if you want to buy several blanks at once.

I've not used SL Hardwoods for wood, but have bought Planet forstner bits from them in the past and they were fine to deal with and quick to deliver.

tekno.mage

I ordered a quantity online from Wickes and definitely wouldn't do again. While most of it was of similar quality to that which I would have picked myself in store, some of it was simply awful with bends and twists and I threw it away.

In retrospect, I think I should have complained but at the time I didn't feel like facing the hassle.

On the positive side though, delivery was free because I spent over £45 and the timber came very quickly.

I have ordered from SL Hardwoods online before. Luckily I went to pick my boards up as, in that instance, they didn't have the length of board I wanted so had given me an offcut of another board to make up for it. As I was making an Oak window ledge, this wasn't acceptable and I returned with my money refunded.

I'm sure if you call them and explain what you want they'd be more helpful, but I wouldn't rely on their online system.

Much better to buy in person if at all possible.

I've bought twice from SL Hardwoods, with 2 quite different experiences.

First time was 1" American Black Walnut and was fine. I used it in a project for F&C and mentioned that SL were good in the article.

Second time was 1" and 2" American White Oak. The 1" was OK, but the 2" was appalling - seriously bowed and with some massive defects and dead knots. I had to make a lot of fuss before they agreed to change it, I think had I not mentioned that it was for another magazine article I'd have been stuck with it. To be fair though, in the end they gave me a replacement free board that was OK, so worked out fine in the end.

What I take from these 2 experiences is that you will probably be OK with mail order, but it depends who picks the boards. I suspect that a lot of times they will just send the first board off the pile, whatever it looks like. Unfortunately you cannot rely on the fact that the timber will be selected with the care you would use yourself.

Mail order is OK if you have no other choice, but in view of the postage costs and the uncertainty I intend to avoid it where I can.

Hope that helps, Ed

I've had quite a bit of both sawn & PAR hardwoods from SLH and its always been fine. But they do know me and unless I want one board in a hurry get the boards in for me rather than use their stock and I will pick up the day it arrives as their storage is not ideal(may change when they move next month)

I never order via their site, alway fax or e-mail what I want and what minimum lengths, if you just order by the running meter you may get Wizers problems.

Jason

I notice that you're in Sussex. Why not try W L West at Petworth, or English Woodlands Timber at Midhurst. Don't know what quantities or species you are looking for, but both of these yards have good stocks of native, european and american timbers, plus some exotics. Wests have a 'small users' department. I have always been able to select from stock .
When I have ordered timber without personally seeing it and selecting, it has always been over the phone when I can be very specific about my needs, and it has usually been from yards which I have used in the past.

Another vote here for West's. I've used them a number of time's now and always had great service coupled with realistic prices. Unlike the Travis Perkins etc of this world they don't treat you like an silly person if you're not in the trade or are unsure of what you want, and are always happy to hand out sound advice.
If they're within striking distance I'd heartily recommend a trip over there, I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll stick with picking the boards myself. I've been going to Goodwillies at Waterlooville up to now and they've been very helpful although their hardwood range is limited. I'll certainly try Wests and English Woodlands as they are nearer anyway.

Latest posts

Back