Buying timber online?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs02rm0

Reaction score
Does anyone do it? Any recommended websites? I'm sure there are many reasons it's a daft idea, but it could save me a lot of hassle if it's realistic.

Thanks and apologies if this is asked every five minutes!

Rich.

cs02rm0":1i6qz7i0 said:
Does anyone do it? Any recommended websites? I'm sure there are many reasons it's a daft idea, but it could save me a lot of hassle if it's realistic.

Thanks and apologies if this is asked every five minutes!

Rich.

I have done , but in all honesty it isnt something i'd recomend - IMO you really ought to go to the yard and pick out the bits you want. It will save you hassle in the long run

my other tip is if you do buy on line give Uk oak at corby a large swerve - their product is okay (so long as you arent too fussy) and the price is cheap but their customer service sucks like a ten dollar Peach (I'll leave that one there or else i'll engage *rant* mode :lol:)

Ditto what Laird says.

I went to my local timber yard and bought what they called joinery grade. The price was very good. The timber looked fine on the outside but after you'd planed a couple of faces and then started machining it further, the inside was full of splits and shakes. I vowed then never to try and 'save' money but to price in the albeit more expensive cost of BH wood into any job I did.

Just received an order of some oak from BH today and am suitably impressed. There is one wobbly piece from the four but it's still very useable.

Not the bits i'd have chosen but that's the price you pay for convenience!

Don't rule out ebay. There is a chap (who's name at the moment escapes me) who often sells large offcuts. I recently bought two lots of Iroko for a good price and they were excellent. Because of the photo's you can get an accurate idea of what the board looks like which for me is a bonus as my local yards don't allow me to select my own boards.

Back