Buying spree... advice/sense needed...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Davy
I have only just seen your post concerning the machines you are considering. With regard to the Bandsaw SBW4300 that you are considering, I believe this is approx £760. On Axminsters Sid's savers, they had 3 SBW 5300 the model up on the 4300 for sale at £519.46 inc VAT plus delivery, these are either reconditioned or ex demonstration machines so would presumably carry the usual Axminster warranty. I have just checked and they have 1 left on the list. If interested you would have to phone their Technical service people for info on 08700 600 388. Hope this helps.
Cono

Hi Davy

davy_owen_88":1ju55gbo said:
Still no words on the Jet thicknesser? Its the one tool I haven't heard anything about.

I would have bought the Jet thicknesser, along with my Jet jointer, but I just didn't have the space. I spent a lot of time looking at it and I don't think you'll go wrong.

Cheers
Neil

Mr_Grimsdale":1xslv0le said:
Just say "dado cutter" to some woodworkers and they have to change their underpants!
Not quite - the point was more about making sure that, for example, a saw has a properly fixed rip fence, a riving knife and a crown guard and that the electrics aren't going to give you a belt. Maybe you're the one who was selling this on eBay :wink: :

HSESAWBENCH.jpg

Scrit

Roger Sinden":2qasstjl said:
davy_owen_88":2qasstjl said:
Roger, that Scheppach does look like a nice deal, but theres no way I could go and collect it.

No but Palletline will. If your seller can get hold of a pallet and get the saw onto it then Palletline will do the rest and deliver it to your door. Cost about £50.

I've just taken delivery of my first two pallets and it worked pretty seamlessly.

Went for £666.46. An absolutely cracking buy for some lucky bidder. Less than half current new price of £1429.

Scrit":3kllyy81 said:
Actually that depends on where you are starting from..... If you use a portable circular saw to do the rough break-down then follow-up by using a circular saw with a run-off table to do the final sizing then the circular saw will be quicker, more accurate and have (consistent) repeatability. It will also be faster. I agree that you need a big table saw to handle 8 x 4 sheets uncut safely - in fact I reckon that without a proper panel saw it sometimes borders on the downright foolhardy - but I used to break-down with a portable saw and then finish to size on a 12in table saw/sliding carraige (Wadkin). The wastage was higher, but then so was the accuracy. That saw also allowed me to do joinery-type crosscuts and dimension ripping of solid wood - neither task done well (or even safely) on a portable saw/rail system.
Scrit

Hi Scrit
I would like to know why you think that a circular saw/rail system cant be safe to use for jooinery-type crosscuts and dimension ripping of solid wood, I would be intrested to hear what you think.

Also about the repeatability of using circular saw/rail system, this is where I think the EZ system has one over the other systems, as you can get repeatability with some of the add ons.
It may not be as quick on setting up for the cut but I think where that is done, it will be as quick to do the cutting of the board IMO. 8-[ :)

I have a teeny tiny hijack - sorry. With all the recent talk of circular saw guide systems, something's been bothering me about the "takes longer" argument against them. If you're using sheet goods in an amateur workshop how many folks are really set up to break down a sheet of ply or <cough>MDF straight on the table saw? Safely, that is... I assume, and I may well assume all wrong, that you first do a bit of breaking down of the sheet into more managable hunks. Like into pieces that will fit in the shed. Er, workshop. So the circular saw and guides make sense there anyway, no? In which case, why not save material and effort and cut the thing to the right size first time with a good cs and guide - and save time? What am I missing? Apart from folks with panel saws obviously. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1krgp3cc said:
I have a teeny tiny hijack - sorry. With all the recent talk of circular saw guide systems, something's been bothering me about the "takes longer" argument against them. If you're using sheet goods in an amateur workshop how many folks are really set up to break down a sheet of ply or <cough>MDF straight on the table saw? Safely, that is... I assume, and I may well assume all wrong, that you first do a bit of breaking down of the sheet into more managable hunks. Like into pieces that will fit in the shed. Er, workshop. So the circular saw and guides make sense there anyway, no? In which case, why not save material and effort and cut the thing to the right size first time with a good cs and guide - and save time? What am I missing? Apart from folks with panel saws obviously. :D

Cheers, Alf

It took me quite a while to think of an answer, but here it is :D

When I break down a large sheet I don't always know what size I'm going to need. I see your point and if it was possible for me to keep a whole sheet until I needed it then I would do it your way. But as it stands I can't store whole sheets so I'd rather cut them down a bit, and then size then when I need them. Which is where a tablesaw saves lots of time.

Alf":giplho9b said:

Cheers, Alf

This is the problem that I had, as in a poor table saw ( which the fence would move half way throgh a cut and that was the second fence I have got for it :evil:) and not alot of room to cut up sheet goods or long timber.

So I went for what I saw as the safer option (having cut my self on TS twice :roll: and I still have all my fingers :sign3: ) and I am happy with my choice, plus the finish cut is much better than the TS :)

Hi Colin

I think that rail systems are not appropriate for ripping solid stock such as parting an 8 foot long 4 x 2 into two 2 x 1-3/4s because you have to start packing-up the back edge of the rail (and you may only have ONE 4 x 2 in the shop at the time) and so on. In that sort of scenario a table saw is a lot easier to use, safer and more accurate and with the right blade you might well get away with just sanding off afterwards. When I'm out installing stuff I frequently have a DW742 flip-over saw with me and I find it a heck of a lot easier to use that, in saw table mode - and providing I've got a helper to support at the back - than use the Bosch plunge saw and straight edge system that I also happen carry. On the other hand the Bosch system is much more convenient to use when I'm carving-up sheet stock out on site. Intermediate-size stuff like flooring planks fall somewhere in the middle with their being no clear advantage either way so far as I can see. Having had the two the alternatives to compare side by side for some years, that has been my experience.

I haven't used the EZ system, but I've had the Bosch system for about 5 years now and I have looked into the deWalt, Mafell and Festool systems. Repeatability with the Bosch rail system and others seems to be down to the user's ability to lay-out accurately and align the rails to the marks and when you are cutting MFC or MF-MDF planing or belt sanding to fit just isn't much of an option as the edges will break-out on you in all probablilty. I have toyed with the idea of building a measuring/setting jig for the rail system, but to be honest I tend to make almost all the critical cuts on the table saw in the workshop, even if that means re-ordering the work and taking stuff back to the shop at the end of the day to do the cutting.

The need to align the rail before every cut is where errors can inadvertently creep in. A table saw fence should be solidly fixed and there is no issue of misreading of a line in that case - just the need to push the stock against the fence whilst making the cut and the need to calibrate the rip/crosscut fence rulers and carraige squareness periodically. If you know the table saw is square the fact that your repeat cuts require no checking between cuts makes the operation much faster on the table saw. And the nature of sheet goods is that you do tend to be make a lot of repetitive cuts.

In terms of the cut quality on your old table saw being poor on sheet goods, Colin, the cut quality probably has three major factors influencing it: the stiffness/rigidity of the rip fence, the ability of the table saw set-up to support the sheet stock adequately and the choice of an appropriate blade on the saw. Of those the first two are paramount and it sounds as though your saw was lacking in both departments :oops: .

Alf":1fbj4gyx said:
... something's been bothering me about the "takes longer" argument against them. If you're using sheet goods in an amateur workshop how many folks are really set up to break down a sheet of ply or <cough> MDF straight on the table saw? Safely, that is... I assume, and I may well assume all wrong, that you first do a bit of breaking down of the sheet into more managable hunks.
Alf

That is sort of what I tried to say in an earlier post - but by breaking down I was not implying any particular level of accuracy, and if that's the case and you are going to trim to size on a table saw then a cheapish portable circular saw and a piece of 3 x 2 PAR will be adequere to get down to stock sizes you can handle on the table saw unaided. Very often this is just one or two cuts to get to that stage and perhaps I was making an assumption that the original poster would already own a portable circular saw, but almost everyone here would seem to have one lurking somewhere in the workshop....... It's when you get to building a kitchen or bedroom, as some of out contributors have done in the last year or two, that the differences really start to become apparent: 10 carcasses with six to ten components each (a small to medium kitchen) adds up to a heck of a lot of parallel and 90 degree crosscuts. If you have the room in a workshop then it should be possible to set-up even a small table top saw like the Ryobi BT300 to handle an 8 x 4 sheet - by adding run-on, run-off and side supports, but the question is how many people have the room? So initial "off-line" breaking down becomes quite attractive - I even do that myself with jumbo sheets (2.6 x 2 metre ones) because they're too darned big to handle safely any other way and it's the only size you can get in certain materials :roll: . I feel that a table saw with a carraige will certainly make a more consistent, less time consuming and frustrating job of crosscutting the original poster's speaker cabinet components than a rail and saw system. Assuming that these cabinets might be for sale, then accuracy and speed could be a factor in his decisions.

In any case, are you sure you haven't been overly influenced by having the Maxi with that wonderfully floppy rip fence? :wink:

Scrit

Scrit":1foa24v0 said:
The need to align the rail before every cut is where errors can inadvertently creep in. A table saw fence should be solidly fixed and there is no issue of misreading of a line in that case - just the need to push the stock against the fence whilst making the cut and the need to calibrate the rip/crosscut fence rulers and carraige squareness periodically. If you know the table saw is square the fact that your repeat cuts require no checking between cuts makes the operation much faster on the table saw. And the nature of sheet goods is that you do tend to be make a lot of repetitive cuts.

In terms of the cut quality on your old table saw being poor on sheet goods, Colin, the cut quality probably has three major factors influencing it: the stiffness/rigidity of the rip fence, the ability of the table saw set-up to support the sheet stock adequately and the choice of an appropriate blade on the saw. Of those the first two are paramount and it sounds as though your saw was lacking in both departments :oops: .

Scrit

Thank for that Scrit :)
I understand your thinking behind what you have said but all of what you have down as bad for a rail system is the reason I got the EZ.
It can do all of that with most if not all saws ( You do need a good saw to help you get a good cut, mine is a Freud )

You are completly right about my TS as it was rubbish ( Ferm, I need say no more :roll: ), but it was all I could aford as I was made redundate the day before christmas eve ( Antique restorer, if you dont know :wink: ).
So I decided to go work for my self.
3 1/2 years later I have found myself needing a better saw and was going to get a better TS but thanks to Shady :roll: , I saw a way of doing what I need and have more room too.

I dont see you needing one but have a look at the site and you will see what I mean about it ( Ez system ), giving you more ways to do what you have pointed out safely :D plus quicker than you might with other rails.

Ps I have no connection to EZ, just a have customer :)
http://eurekazone.com/gallery/

Scrit":3g89etu8 said:
In any case, are you sure you haven't been overly influenced by having the Maxi with that wonderfully floppy rip fence? :wink:
Oh probably. It's just even "small" 8 x4 sheets always strike me as such unwieldy things it makes more sense to bring the saw to the work. Plus I'd have to give the blasted table saw pride of place in the middle of the w'shop to accomodate the required clearance, and frankly I've never felt it earns the space. :)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":xk3expd5 said:
Plus I'd have to give the blasted table saw pride of place in the middle of the w'shop to accomodate the required clearance, and frankly I've never felt it earns the space. :)
Therein lies the difference - I'm just designing the layout for my next shop and it's looking like the panel saw is probably going to go smack bang in the middle with the other machinery around it. I suppose it all depends on how much sheet stuff you need to cut

Scrit

Scrit, just out of curiosity, do you have any photo's of your 'shop? I'm curious as to what a fully fledged working 'shop looks like.

Back