Buying First Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Gunn

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Looking into buying my first Lathe :D
There seems to be a good offer on the Record DML36SH-Cam swivel head lathe with cam locks on Record Power - the toolshop.com
Does anybody have any experience with this lathe? or record lathes in general
Would appreciate some guidance.

Hello Robin and welcome :D
I had the DML24 but just couldn't get on with it,but there are many who like the record lathes.Try and have a go on as many lathes as you can before you buy to see which ones/one you like,if you can.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I had a DML 36 as my first lathe, bought secondhand on eBay. Although I liked it per se I did outgrow it fairly quickly. I've upgraded to a Record CL4, again secondhand on eBay and am delighted with it.

If you are sensible about buying used there are some good deals around, not sure if Record's 5 year guarantee is transferable.... probably not I suspect.

Enjoy the researching and purchase.

Neil.

Hi there
In my view the amount of money you have to spend will dictate what you buy, Money no object ? buy a Graduate ! best starter lathe in my view is a Tyme Cub, a good british machine, there are still a few about.
Other possibilities- Axminster M330, Record DML.
Consider this, a swivel head will always be a "weak point"! on a lathe, the best lathes dont have them eg; graduate,jubilee,viceroy and wadkin.
A jubileed is a good alternative if you cant afford a graduate.
hope that helps

Robin

Hi and welcome :lol:

I see you are not too far from me / Barkingside

I can give you some advice on lathes and also maybe its worth you attending a Club I belong to in Barkingside , The Club has 12 lathes for members to use so it will give you a idea of what's what :wink:

Send me a PM with you phone number and I will give you a ring if you think it will help

Cheers

Robin Gunn":nstck2ds said:
Hi Folks
Looking into buying my first Lathe.

Welcome to the forum Robin, as others have said could well be a better bet looking around for a second user machine with a little more weight behind it.
Have a look at members lathes list above for an indication as to popularity.

chippyminton":nstck2ds said:
....Consider this, a swivel head will always be a "weak point"! on a lathe, the best lathes dont have them ....

Welcome to the forum chippy, I don't think that statement is all that valid as advice for a new starter, there are some very sound designs with swivel heads and even the budget version machines are more than adequately engineered for hobby use and there are many aimed at the professional market that provide a flexibility of use that far outweigh a fixed head configuration in use.

Welcome to the forum Robin, Chippy.

Ditto Chas, you just beat me to that about the swivel head on a lathe being a weak point.

I had a perform when I started 2 years ago and it was fine except for it's robustness, I turn a lot of offcentre wet wood and it wasn;t really man for the job but apart from that it was fine. These often appear 2nd hand as people upgrade and worth looking at. At present I am using a Coronet (old record) No1 that is strong and IMHO better than the perform tho' it' doesn't have the swivel head. These often go for as little as £50 and are well worth that. As you will find that the cost of tools, and accesories will at least double your setting up costs I also would advise looking for a decent 2nd hand one

Pete

Welcome Robin

As Blister says. Come along to our club night next Wednesday. Lots of lathes to play with and everyone is really helpful and welcoming. Good mix of ages. I've only been twice and both times picked up advice which has stuck with me and improved my game.

Hello, good morning and welcome.

As Bodrighy said, the Perform is good value if you are just starting and want to buy new. I got mine last year and am now wishing I had gone for something more substantial, which is no doubt why you can get second hand ones so cheap. They are great to buy to use and see if you get baddly bitten by the bug, without spending a fortune only to find you don't use it!! :roll:

CHJ":imqy5iht said:
Welcome to the forum chippy, I don't think that statement is all that valid as advice for a new starter, there are some very sound designs with swivel heads and even the budget version machines are more than adequately engineered for hobby use and there are many aimed at the professional market that provide a flexibility of use that far outweigh a fixed head configuration in use.

I agree with Chas too - for the last 8 years ive used an axminster M900 with swivel head and it has neer been a problem.

okay i'm looking at upgrading now , but thats to do with lathe power and mass not the swiveling head (in fact it is likely that the lathe will upgrade to will be swivel headed as well)

not everyone can afford a LRE rebuilt graduate , or even a second handone , and s.h harisons, wadkins etc are nearly all three phase (requiring conversion), and condition can be a chancy thing.

My advice would be if you can afford 1500 notes get a LRE graduate variturn - it would last you for life and the resale value would be good. However assuming you cant get whatever lathe suits your intended work and pocket.

mrs. sliver":huyzli7y said:
Hello, good morning and welcome.

As Bodrighy said, the Perform is good value if you are just starting and want to buy new. I got mine last year and am now wishing I had gone for something more substantial, which is no doubt why you can get second hand ones so cheap. They are great to buy to use and see if you get baddly bitten by the bug, without spending a fortune only to find you don't use it!! :roll:

axminster dont appear to be making the performs anymore - though they have comparable lathes in white under their own badge for a few hundred notes - although relabled these are essential an M900 which is what i use and are good lathes to start on

mine will probably be available s.h in about a month , but you are a tad far away and they arent much over 200 notes new.

Hi Robin

This is a great board for help.

I have a little 'starter' Perform CCSL(?) from Axminster. Fantastic value, but limited. I still love it but if I had my time again I would have bitten the bullet and spent twice as much for a better lathe.

It can be a bit frustrating to read in turning books about such things as turning larger bowls - I'm limited to a 9-10" diameter - most of my bowls end up under 6" :roll: . I'd also like an electronic variable speed if I were to buy a new one. The old stalwarts like the Union graduate seem to be the gold standard.

I also found out very quickly that the lathe is only part of the cost - you'll get hooked and spend a fortune on chucks and chisels, let alone band saws, and dust extraction equipment :D :D

Steve with the Black Dog":1lnl5kp2 said:
Hi Robin

I have a little 'starter' Perform CCSL(?) from Axminster. Fantastic value, but limited. I still love it but if I had my time again I would have bitten the bullet and spent twice as much for a better lathe.

It can be a bit frustrating to read in turning books about such things as turning larger bowls - I'm limited to a 9-10" diameter - most of my bowls end up under 6" :roll: . I'd also like an electronic variable speed if I were to buy a new one. The old stalwarts like the Union graduate seem to be the gold standard.

you have a point - i think the ccsl is essentially the same thing as my M900 and i'm hitting its limitations now hence the upgrade. Mind you that said i have turned far bigger than the set maximum (with the head swiveled 90 degrees) - I once did a 24" platter by using a free standing toolrest - it was hairy but possible.

also you'd need to spend considerably more than twice as much The LRE graduate with variturn electronic speed control is circa 1600 notes - thats arround 8 times the price of a CCSL

Steve with the Black Dog":1lnl5kp2 said:
I also found out very quickly that the lathe is only part of the cost - you'll get hooked and spend a fortune on chucks and chisels, let alone band saws, and dust extraction equipment :D :D

thats why they call it "the slope" :D

big soft moose":1lg7y4c8 said:
Steve with the Black Dog":1lg7y4c8 said:
Hi Robin

you have a point - i think the ccsl is essentially the same thing as my M900 and i'm hitting its limitations now hence the upgrade. Mind you that said i have turned far bigger than the set maximum (with the head swiveled 90 degrees) - I once did a 24" platter by using a free standing toolrest - it was hairy but possible.

also you'd need to spend considerably more than twice as much The LRE graduate with variturn electronic speed control is circa 1600 notes - thats arround 8 times the price of a CCSL

Steve with the Black Dog":1lg7y4c8 said:

thats why they call it "the slope" :D

Mine's a different model - no swivel head.

I think it is this one:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 785504.htm

The Perform that Steve has is the smallest in the range that they had, the next one up, the CCL is the one that was similar to Moose's lathe.

Pete

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum

I bought a Record (badged) lathe in January (Nova 1624-44) from Yandles, I had a small problem with it, reported it to Yandles didn't want to know :evil: phoned Record received excellent customer service and had a replace part the next day. :D
I have been using the lathe a lot and am very pleased so far.
One tip - I found bolting the lathe down to a concrete floor made a big difference.

Regards

John

Back