Buying ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Chris, I'm new here, forgive me if this is the wrong section.

I'm planning a new woodworking project which is the construction of a car body in the traditional manner.

I'm reliably informed that ash would be the best wood to use for the main members with marine ply for the "sheet" areas - does this sound right?

If so where would I be able to purchase suitable ash? The sizes would be from 1 ich square up to about 3 x 2 inches.

Thanks in advance :D

Ash in those sizes will be readily available from most timber merchants and is one of the cheaper hardwoods, try your local yellow pages

Thanks for that link PAC.

I still have to think about delivery, but their prices seem reasonable.

Looks like I might be sticking the roof rack on though!

Cheers.

John

PAC,

My nearest trustworthy source is Sykes in Atherstone.
Venables was a good merchant, but I think they have gone the way, sad to say! There was Adcocks in Corby Glen, but even they seem to have vanished!

Don't know where Whitmore's is I'm afraid. ( Unless it's the one in in Leics. Hooray for Google!)
Most of the other local merchants are ruddy expensive. :(

John

Chris,

Welcome to the forum - it's good to see another Chris here.

Ash is a traditional wood for car bodies. It has the virtues of strength, light weight, ease of working, low(ish) cost and can be easily steam bent.

Ply will be OK for panels but be aware there are many different qualities of ply and even the best can be disappointing. It's one of those things that ain't as good as it used to be since so much has gone to China and here MDF has displaced it in so many applications. You may find that it's better to use aircraft grade ply rather than marine ply

Looking forward to seeing your project develop - please do post lots of pics!

waterhead37":3ezqe1j3 said:
Chris,

Welcome to the forum - it's good to see another Chris here.

Ash is a traditional wood for car bodies. It has the virtues of strength, light weight, ease of working, low(ish) cost and can be easily steam bent.

Looking forward to seeing your project develop - please do post lots of pics!

It was also the weak point of the 'Traveller' models. (Disregarding BMC of course) It's also the thing that generally needs replacing in any old car restoration project, whether it's used on the outer skin or not!.

But it is the trad material for the job.

John

Chris

For what its worth, my experiences of ash when cutting into shape or steam bending (did some work for the local church around bell ringing armatures) would be to source some air dried English timber as opposed to kiln dried American ash as supplied by a lot of timber merchants it will be far less brittle and much better for bending

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome!

I did think about getting air dried timber as a friend said he used this when he restored his Riley RME.

I there a good source of this type?

I'll certainly post pictures when the project starts, maybe in the summer, I've got other stuff on at the moment. I want to be prepared.

Thanks again

8)

I hope the project goes well, are you using hand tools to do this job or have you access to some machinery?
And is it a kit plan or are you restoring?

devonwoody":mbzges1j said:
I hope the project goes well, are you using hand tools to do this job or have you access to some machinery?
And is it a kit plan or are you restoring?

I'm hoping to pick up a general purpose bandsaw and maybe a router, I have an electric plane and some chisels etc.

It's going to be a new design, similar to the 1930's Rileys built on a Triumph Spitfire chassis but with a modern Ford engine.

If I lived in your area you would have been welcome to come over and get some of your timbers cut on my bandsaw and use of planer/thicknesser.

Perhaps some kind member might offer you the same in the Kingdom of Yorkshire.

You might find that four hands are needed if steam bending some of that ash , it doesnt bend into shape all that easily.

Chris ,cant remember what its called but the type of plywood used by coachbuilders for the floors of truck bodies might be ideal for you. Its extremely hardwearing and totally waterproof, if you could locate someone local building coaches or vehicle bodies you might be able to get offcuts.

Latest posts

Back