Buying a used bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanVH

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a bandsaw mainly for prepping blanks for woodturning. I need something with a decent depth of cut (at least 170 but preferable more) and reasonable power as the blanks are mainly hardwood.

My budget is around £500 which rules out a new machine so I have been looking at second hand as the older machines look a lot more robust and I like the idea of reusing existing tools.

However, although I expect I may need to make some upgrades to a used machine, I have read some horror stories of people finding that their prize purchase is a piece of junk.

I would be grateful for any advice on where to look and things to avoid.

I bought old Startrite 352 a few years ago for £300 and excellent machine and would suggest you look at one of these. Just looked on E Bay and didn't realise how much prices have gone up!! If you can get one in your budget you will have a good machine. Startrite 352 Bandsaw | eBay

I got a record bs400 from a member here, just shy of 300mm vertical cut capacity on paper with the correct blade, plenty of power. Cannot fault it one bit. It is now the most used tool in my workshop.

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase a bandsaw mainly for prepping blanks for woodturning. I need something with a decent depth of cut (at least 170 but preferable more) and reasonable power as the blanks are mainly hardwood.

My budget is around £500 which rules out a new machine so I have been looking at second hand as the older machines look a lot more robust and I like the idea of reusing existing tools.

However, although I expect I may need to make some upgrades to a used machine, I have read some horror stories of people finding that their prize purchase is a piece of junk.

I had similar intentions as yourself to buy a 2nd hand bandsaw to cut up blanks. Pretty much the same budget but after looking at about five and trying them out I ended up pretty disillusioned. Either didn't run true or just couldn't cut the blank I had without stopping. Probably could have been the blade but I came to the conclusion that unless I up my budget and buy something semi industrial it want be fit for purpose. As I'm in Portugal I also don't think that there is the same range over here of 2nd hand stuff. Don't want to put you off but definitely see any prospective purchase working before you stump up the cash.

I ended up buying a reciprocating saw to prep the blanks and saved myself a headache, space and some funds. But I use a chainsaw first to cut the trunks and then the recip. saw.

Good luck. I know that loads of people swear by their bandsaw's.

Shan

@ Shan This was a 300mm cut with a 6 TPI blade - because I couldn't be bothered to change it for just the one cut.

Bandsaw Cut 300mm 6tpi.jpg

Hi Ian,
Did you manage to get your bandsaw problem sorted?
If not, I may be able to help you out.
PM me if you still want one.

Back