Buying a new pillar drill - which one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a big old Performance Power Tools pillar drill I bought some years back.
Model PP37012BD
The main shaft which holds the chuck now has some lateral movement in it so the drill bit can wander once it makes contact with the timber. This is particularly noticeable when I have to use fine HSS (non lip & spur type) bits.
I can't find any adjustment to resolve the problem and as it was originally from some place like B&Q assume it was made to a price and can't be adjusted.

So really looking for recommendations for a new or good quality old replacement.

It would need to have 3-4" or so up and down travel and a ratchet adjustable(raise, lower and swivel) table.

Any suggestions?

I suspect you are going to have a number of people direct you towards a good quality secondhand machine and I’m afraid I’m going to do the same! If your need is not urgent then keep an eye out on the regular auction sites and whatever you may have locally for an old meddings or Fobco Star as these tend to be built to much better standards than modern equivalents of far eastern origin. I picked up my Fobco a couple of years ago for £50 odd and it’s night and day compared to anything I’ve played with at Axminster for example.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, either a new or secondhand Meddings.

Found a few Meddings. Any that have a windup table? Really need that feature on a drill. Often need to make fine adjustments and it'd be a complete PITA to do it without that fine control.
What's the travel on the down stroke on a Meddings?

You have owned the drill for several years and have until now been happy with it? Without doubt there will be an adjustment to take out the play

flintandsteel":28r7f28b said:
Found a few Meddings. Any that have a windup table? Really need that feature on a drill. Often need to make fine adjustments and it'd be a complete PITA to do it without that fine control.
What's the travel on the down stroke on a Meddings?

my Meddings has a wind up table, otherwise it would crush you :)

P1060293.jpg

I have seen this feature on a smaller Meddings but quite rare

Attachments

• P1060293.jpg
    P1060293.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,924
A very good point and worth sacrificing a ratchet adjustable bed for. My thanks.
As per previously, what's the travel on the down stroke? I have 3" on my old beasty but a bit more would on occasion be useful.

Re 2 or 3 replies back. I've had this one 3 years but I see from the plate that it was made in 2003. Can't see any adjustment potential anywhere. Both inner and outer chuck sleeves for want of a better description have slight play in them. Never said I was happy with it, it's what I had. Now with some cash to spare and tacks requiring precision drilling, it's time to upgrade.

I'll measure mine later if you wish, its a big drill as it has a radial arm however the head is the same as normal bench or pillar pacera models.

I've been doing up a Meddings M4 Bench version for a while (1960s) on and off. It's actually pretty much finished I'm just waiting for some help to get it up on the stand and some work on the electrics need completing after mistakenly buying a flux capicitor on ebay and meeting a younger version of myself after I put the drill into highest speed. I won't go into the details except to say that I sold a load of neat tools to myself at a knock down price and left my Mrs for an older woman.

The down stroke on mine is about 4 1/2".

Soon as I read it back to myself I knew someone would comment. And by 'someone' I knew it would be you. :D

As with most such items there appear to be more down south than up in't North.
Just wondering if there's any merit in buying a 3 phase and getting a converter?
Maybe not the ideal solution. What are the potential pitfalls?

flintandsteel":3t7vmxl6 said:
As with most such items there appear to be more down south than up in't North.
Just wondering if there's any merit in buying a 3 phase and getting a converter?
Maybe not the ideal solution. What are the potential pitfalls?

Easier and cheaper to just swap the motor for a single phase, that's what I did. I found a second hand motor with the same size shaft and mounting plate and it was a simple job.

Would you believe it, while I live in Harrogate I'm actually away working with our stand at a show from friday to sunday night.
Sod's law or what.

I used Meddings at work for 35 years, and they are very nice as a metalwork drill with slow speeds and wind up table.
At home iI have a pre war [1st World War] Startrite. It was designed as a glaziers drill and has an aluminium table about 3 foot wide. I have never seen another and for woodwork it is a dream.

Colin

I live in Harrogate but I'm away Friday to Sunday evening so can't get to the show.
I've an option on an old Meddings Pacera and a 3 phase MB4.
The latter I like as it has a windup table but with then requiring a converter and rewiring I'm not sure.
Any thoughts on the Pacera?

Latest posts

Back