Buying a new pillar drill - which one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flintandsteel":2vxaohls said:
I live in Harrogate but I'm away Friday to Sunday evening so can't get to the show.
I've an option on an old Meddings Pacera and a 3 phase MB4.
The latter I like as it has a windup table but with then requiring a converter and rewiring I'm not sure.
Any thoughts on the Pacera?

Both are good machines and a motor swap or an inverter are both easy jobs so I would go for the one that suits you best. I have a Meddings A10 radial arm drill, basically an MB4 head on a very big body that I am going to refurbish as soon as I have the Viceroy complete, this is 3 phase, I will probably go the inverter route as I like 3 phase motors without all the start/run capacitor gubbins but not sure yet, I've tested the 3 phase motor that came with it and it works fine.

Went for the MB4. 2 of us slid it on a greased ramp out of the workshop and into my Volvo Estate. Ye gods it's a lump and a half.
Next I'll be asking how to add the inverter - but that could be after Christmas the way things are going.
My thanks for all the input.

Yay!
Mines pretty much finished. Just waiting for the extension to start this week. First job pencilled in is lifting the drill onto the bench lol. You should have seen the roofers face. You want me to help you what now?
'It can't be that heavy'. He's a big lad. *tried to shift it*
'Oooomph. JesusF******Christ'
Me: Big grin.

Ooops !! Might be 1 hernia too far :)

I also received an offer on the older one, an offer I CAN'T refuse. And it'll be delivered to.
So any takers for the MB4? Having got it here, I think it's a bit of a monster for the space I have. Also the cost of converting the 3 phase.
Will take some pictures tomorrow.
1 issue, it fell over when being transported (not by me) so a chunk out of the outer casing otherwise in good order.
Pics will show all.
Location North Yorkshire - Boroughbridge just off the A1.

flintandsteel":378gja91 said:
Ooops !! Might be 1 hernia too far :)

I also received an offer on the older one, an offer I CAN'T refuse. And it'll be delivered to.
So any takers for the MB4? Having got it here, I think it's a bit of a monster for the space I have. Also the cost of converting the 3 phase.
Will take some pictures tomorrow.
1 issue, it fell over when being transported (not by me) so a chunk out of the outer casing otherwise in good order.
Pics will show all.
Location North Yorkshire - Boroughbridge just off the A1.

I may be up for it, it sounds like the one I was looking at on ebay that disappeared early yesterday :) I want it for spares for my big one. I'll PM you.

Pics

Attachments

• med left.jpg
    med left.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 342
  • med mid.jpg
    med mid.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 342
  • med right.jpg
    med right.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 342

Latest posts