Buy this book?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":3o16v8hn said:
I've been thinking about this thread today and I suddenly came to a conclusion.

Whilst I do have the Third Edition and wouldn't be without it....I think the sophistication of the internet and the knowledge base just at the UKW way outstrips the content.

If you take the combined knowledge of the Prof and Richard Arnold just to name two members here...there is little that can't be researched by just posting a mark.

I know Jane Rees is working hard on the Fourth Edition and I will certainly buy it when it eventually comes out but in the meantime I will always come here for information on any maker...it is just a wonderful place to learn.

Jim

Jim, I agree with you on the most part but having spent many weeks in record offices, reference libraries and the back rooms of museums myself has made me realise the amount of work that goes into writing a book of an historical nature, and the limitations that the internet has for this kind of research.

Having said that I have found the internet really useful. Ancestry.co.uk has helped me to unearth a colossal amount of information on the individual planemakers of Bristol and the British Newspaper Archive has allowed me to find news stories, obituaries and advertisements that have helped to piece together what actually occurred all those years ago.

And on top of that I've had to slide down the almost vertical slope of wooden plane collecting, why did Bristol have so many planemakers? :D

I hope none of the above puts anyone off doing this kind of research as it is a really enjoyable thing to do. Finding a piece of history that had been buried and forgotten by all is a pretty exhilarating experience and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Pete,

Keep up the good work! I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers on here when you come to print.

Regards,

DT

richarnold":2omp1e09 said:
Couldn't agree more Jim. I'm more than willing to help out with any queries, and the more we all share our findings, the better. Just a thought, are people aware of this exelent book on the early london makers, It's very up to date, and corrects some info that was wrong in BPM third addition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

Richard,

On the strength of your post and the fact that there are so few books on the subject, I bought Don and Anne Wing's book - it arrived in Wild Wales just now - and very good it looks too; time for a read.

Thanks for the recommendation

All best

Argus":1gpzedli said:
richarnold":1gpzedli said:
Couldn't agree more Jim. I'm more than willing to help out with any queries, and the more we all share our findings, the better. Just a thought, are people aware of this exelent book on the early london makers, It's very up to date, and corrects some info that was wrong in BPM third addition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

Richard,

On the strength of your post and the fact that there are so few books on the subject, I bought Don and Anne Wing's book - it arrived in Wild Wales just now - and very good it looks too; time for a read.

Thanks for the recommendation

All best

I hope you enjoy the read. It's a shame that no one in the uk has any stocks of this book left. Next time i speak to Don and Ann I will see if I can rectify this
Richard

Richard

Received my BPM Ed 2 from the States on Friday just about to to start reading it, a lot thinner than Ed 3 you shown me, but looking forward to it.

Back