Buy this book?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
On a well known internet market place many of us frequent :roll: Are two books a 1st and a 2nd of British Planemakers from 1700. I feel like treating myself for no good reason other than i deserve it,the problem is which one?
I know there is a 3rd edition out there but very dear!
Would those in the know and collective co members on the slippery slope be able to advise me which one to purchase?

Steve

The 3rd Edition is sought after for good reason. It contains a huge amount of additional information over the 2nd edition.

If you can't run to the cost of the 3rd Edition then the 2nd edition is what I would choose...and indeed did!

Isn't there a 4th edition on the cards? I'm waiting for that one rather than getting the 3rd.

In any case...they are a "must have" book if you are at all into the history of planes..particularly woodies.

Jim

I presume that we are talking about Goodman / Rees?
How many editions are there? The last I heard was that No 4 was still in the pipeline - I'm still using No 3.
Is No 4 published yet?

:cry: Yes Argus we are talking about W.L Goodman,and as Jim also mentioned there is talk of a 4th edition.
And on that note what news of it's alledged publication?

Jim think i will go for the 2nd edition as a starter book,and if and when No 4 is published move up to that.
$400 plus on fleabay for 3rd edition :cry:

I had the privilege of meeting Jane Rees at a recent TATHS meeting. She confirmed that she is still working on the fourth edition but it will be quite some time and there is no planned publication date yet. That's cold comfort for those of us who only have the second edition!

The second edition says it is considerably enlarged from the first, so I would advise you to buy that.

I hope there are enough fellow members here who do have the 3rd edition and won't mind the occasional request to check something in it from those of us without a copy.

AndyT":1lisv8qk said:
I hope there are enough fellow members here who do have the 3rd edition and won't mind the occasional request to check something in it from those of us without a copy.

Not at all, ....................

I too can help if anyone needs info from BPM3.

On another (related) note, I'm in the process of researching for a book I intend to write on the planemakers of Bristol. I've amassed a huge amount of information including new information on the dates these people were actually in business, births, marriages and deaths and their relationships with other planemakers. I've also found a huge amount of information on the journeyman planemakers and apprentices who worked for these companies. I still have a long way to go as each time I try to concentrate on one line of enquiry it opens up another 10!

Even though I have quite a few photos of the areas these people worked in from the Victorian period, I have no photographs of the planemaking process itself so, if by some remote chance anyone has photos of Bristol planemakers in action, please get in touch.
Many thanks,
Pete.

Plumberpete":3ngsqqli said:

On another (related) note, I'm in the process of researching for a book I intend to write on the planemakers of Bristol. I've amassed a huge amount of information including new information on the dates these people were actually in business, births, marriages and deaths and their relationships with other planemakers. I've also found a huge amount of information on the journeyman planemakers and apprentices who worked for these companies. I still have a long way to go as each time I try to concentrate on one line of enquiry it opens up another 10!

Even though I have quite a few photos of the areas these people worked in from the Victorian period, I have no photographs of the planemaking process itself so, if by some remote chance anyone has photos of Bristol planemakers in action, please get in touch.
Many thanks,
Pete.

I salute you sir! It's people like you who take the time to research and distribute this information about these old skill who are keeping the history and skills alive for future generations.

Keep up the good work! =D>

Jim

Plumberpete":x4s792ys said:
Many thanks,
Pete.

Pete - That sounds interesting!
As a Bristol resident who has "one or two" old planes, I'd be interested to see any that photos you could show us. I've got as far as realising that the places where workshops used to be have all been comprehensively bombed or redeveloped or both, leaving nothing to see on the ground, so photos would be interesting. How big were the premises for someone as prolific as the Greenslades I wonder?

E.A. & W. Greenslade were predominantly brushmakers and their premises were extensive, occupying both sides of (St.) Thomas Street. I have copies of both the plans and architect drawings of most of their buildings. In fact, the celebrated architect William Bruce Gingell who is famous for designing many of the warehouses in Bristol built in the Byzantinium style during the Victorian period, designed several of Greenslade's.

AndyT":ypp85rw1 said:
Plumberpete":ypp85rw1 said:
Many thanks,
Pete.

How big were the premises for someone as prolific as the Greenslades I wonder?

Sorry, I should have quoted the above! :oops:

jimi43":nkhvkyuv said:
Plumberpete":nkhvkyuv said:

Many thanks,
Pete.

I salute you sir! It's people like you who take the time to research and distribute this information about these old skill who are keeping the history and skills alive for future generations.

Keep up the good work! =D>

Jim

Jim, thank you for your kind words however I'm not sure I deserve them! Like Andy I started off with "one or two" planes by Bristol makers and then much to my missus' utter dismay, got a bit obsessive about their history...

Just a quick thought regarding which book to go for. There is some text, and images in the first addition that were not in the second, so if you can get a copy of both it would be worth it. the third addition is obviously the best, and if you keep a watch out on the net, you sometimes get lucky. I picked one up a few months ago for £50.00, and it was mint. Not all the book dealers pick up on how desirable they are. As regards to the 4th addition, I wouldn't hold your breath, my guess is that it will be years before anything happens.
Richard

Mmmmmm dilema now Richard could possibly get 1 & 2 for £60

At Market Harborough Rail Stn on Thursday are there any places tool wise to visit?

Steve

I too have an extra copy of BPM Ed.3 if anyone is interested for trade or?.. this is a real jem...I collect madox/Mutter/mosesley plus Alex Mathieson moulding planes so it was a great place to start. Since then I have gathered a fair bit of info...especially on Mathieson...it is interesting stuff!
A new collection on info for the plane collection ?

I've been thinking about this thread today and I suddenly came to a conclusion.

Whilst I do have the Third Edition and wouldn't be without it....I think the sophistication of the internet and the knowledge base just at the UKW way outstrips the content.

If you take the combined knowledge of the Prof and Richard Arnold just to name two members here...there is little that can't be researched by just posting a mark.

I know Jane Rees is working hard on the Fourth Edition and I will certainly buy it when it eventually comes out but in the meantime I will always come here for information on any maker...it is just a wonderful place to learn.

Jim

mancsteve1":2cg2emcd said:
Mmmmmm dilema now Richard could possibly get 1 & 2 for £60

At Market Harborough Rail Stn on Thursday are there any places tool wise to visit?

Steve
What time are you in harborough?, and how long for

jimi43":3e1wk5gg said:
I've been thinking about this thread today and I suddenly came to a conclusion.

Whilst I do have the Third Edition and wouldn't be without it....I think the sophistication of the internet and the knowledge base just at the UKW way outstrips the content.

If you take the combined knowledge of the Prof and Richard Arnold just to name two members here...there is little that can't be researched by just posting a mark.

I know Jane Rees is working hard on the Fourth Edition and I will certainly buy it when it eventually comes out but in the meantime I will always come here for information on any maker...it is just a wonderful place to learn.

Jim
Couldn't agree more Jim. I'm more than willing to help out with any queries, and the more we all share our findings, the better. Just a thought, are people aware of this exelent book on the early london makers, It's very up to date, and corrects some info that was wrong in BPM third addition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

Richard

Meeting a contractor at 10:00 am coould be wrapped up by 11:00or not much later,rest of day possibly my own.

Latest posts

Back