Burr Maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was searching through my old paper work and found this picture ( which was taken in the old fashioned days of 35mm) So I scanned it to show. Hence why the pic quality is not that good.

It was a lovely piece of burr maple. 250mm dia x 300mm high approx from memory. It was turned about 7 years ago I think, about then anyway.

burrmaple.jpg

Bet you wish you could find a few more pieces of wood like that lying around.

CHJ":1iy3vdae said:
Bet you wish you could find a few more pieces of wood like that lying around.

Hi Chas

Do I ever. Never found a piece like it since. This one was a treat though as from the outside of the loge it just looked as if it was a normal log. It wasn't till i got inside I obviously saw it was not.

I have just finish a lidded from in burr ash and I think I am starting to want to get back to turning in burrs again so it may be a trip to the wood yard.

That's a beauty Mark :D
I wonder where it is now :?:
You can't beat the true natural material when it looks like this,can you,and also proves that you never know what you will find when you cut into a seemingly dull lump of log.All adds to the beauty of turning,i think :D

I love the form Mark. Very simple to show off the lovely figuring. Can you remember the tools you used back then? Different from now?

Hi Paul

Thank you. Turning a simple form out of beautiful wood is very satisfying. I can remember when I made this piece how chuffed I was as I had been turning for around three years and the gallery owner had it put into their marketing material and it was featured in the Wiltshire magazine with the owner holding it to promote the gallery.

As you can imagine it took me quite a while to come back down to earth from that one. But it spurred me on and the rest is history ( I am still chasing the perfect piece).

I would now slightly change this form but only slightly on the height but only by a few more inches.

Tom

Thank you

Yes the tools I used then are the same as today. 1/2 inch bowl gouge ( with a hand ground finger nail prfile, the swept back wings are the only different set up now).

And the Kelton hollower's 3/4 inch which again I changed over to the 1/2 inch as the 3/4 in the handle are so heavy I found once I learnt to use the tools properly the extra size and weight actually hindered the process in all but very large work.

Back