Burnishing brush

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Ive had quite a lots of success recently burnishing beech to prevent too much uptake of BLO on end grain. I have simply been using a piece of dowel to,do it. Problem is, wood is never quite flat, and I can see the benefit of hard bristles to get a consistent finish,

i was going to get a fancy roubo polissoir but they are 30 quid, and I think I need two. What about a hard floor brush from B&M? Anyone tried this?

thanks
Steve

I think I must be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, I always use steel to burnish with, usually on the lathe, can’t imagine how a brush could impart any pressure, as I said I think we are at cross purposes lol.
Blocking off the pores on end grain, never tried I’m afraid but suggest swiping hard with the back of a spoon?
Ian

Seems like a lot of money for a posh straw brush. I think if you got a big sash brush and taped the heck out of the bristles and cut the ends off square it would be the same sort of thing. Maybe wedge it in a bit of pipe.

Could the same be achieved with a hard felt pad like the ones you put on the base of chair legs?
Could you not use a webrax pad? they do make some dust though.
Just thought of another, cut a bit off a really big rope, like the school gym ones we used to climb or big sailing ones.

Traditional Rice Straw Broom 70 cm / 27.5" Hand Brush Natural Garden Yard Stable Sweeping American Style Brush

just £10 on Amazon that would make two or three bound with some heavy cotton thread

I found one in my dad’s garage.

If I were you, I wouldn’t be commissioning me to make you a polissoir any time soon.

IMG_4560.jpeg
IMG_4561.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to make one of these for some time but not got round to it yet. The advice I saw somewhere was to use jubilee clips to consolidate the straw whilst it was securely bound with thread. The clips are then removed, the ends trimmed and then soaked in beeswax.

I’ve been meaning to make one of these for some time but not got round to it yet. The advice I saw somewhere was to use jubilee clips to consolidate the straw whilst it was securely bound with thread. The clips are then removed, the ends trimmed and then soaked in beeswax.
That’s a really good idea. The problem I had was pulling it tight enough without the cord breaking.

Recently I have commandeered a washing up brush from the kitchen to burnish end grain. It has hardish bristles.

Looking at the pic below you can see there’s almost no difference in colour between the face grain and end grain. Certainly nothing like the previous situation where the end grain immediately turns dark brown when the BLO is applied.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back