Burning Accoya

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
is it ok and safe to burn accoya offcuts in a domestic woodburner?

Considering starting to use it but frankly if I can't burn the offcuts then its pointless and extremely wasteful.

Yes it is fine to burn, very expensive firewood though, every time I put a piece on my stove I find myself working out how much it cost!

The good thing is there is hardly any waste because there are no knots or shakes to contend with.

Doug

Well there are always the circa 400mm lengths that you can't really do much with. Still considering the big swap to start using accoya for the windows and doors I make. Sapele is currently a very good price, cheaper than dougy fir but it so damn dusty. Good quality hardwood for windows though. Few knots and shakes. The last time I checked, accost was the same cost as oak :shock: . I don't know how people can manage to make a profit if they use it all the time??

Do the makers of accoya do the acetylisation process with any other species? I seem to recall something about Beech being treated in the same way but can't find anything about it online. It's a pity it's not done in the UK with domestic timber, perhaps it could bring down the cost a bit? It looks like clever stuff and I'd love to be able to afford to use some but I'll have to stick to making windows out of redwood for the time being.

I suspect the people who use accoya all the time have more than enough work to be choosy, and good enough reputations to charge the extra. They may well work in more affluent areas, as well. I had an acquaintance who made scores of box frame windows and he always quoted for the window to be supplied soaked in Cuprinol, knotted, primed and undercoated. If the customer was unwilling to pay, he turned the job down. That way there was never any comeback.

Latest posts

Back