Bun Feet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Hi all you turners, I am looking to raise my settees by 150mm, I think Bun feet would look the most appropriate in a fairly heavy wide section, what would you recommend?

Fifty one view and no one has a comment, or offered to turn me some up.🥵

150mm in one bun is going to look a bit odd imho, how about an inverted cottage loaf?

Shouldn't have skipped lunch today

Fifty one view and no one has a comment, or offered to turn me some up.🥵

To be fair to the 51+ your post didn't, to me at least, look like a request for someone to make them for you. As for the design aesthetics there is nothing to go on since nobody knows, except you, what you are working with, hence Derek's request for pictures. Costs being what they are you might need to find a local woodworker near you to do the job or buy a lathe and get into a new hobby. 😉

Pete

I saw the post early, thought about it, and decided there wasn't enough information (like a picture) to comment meaningfully. My sofa has little square legs, if I wanted to raise it I would unscrew them and fit longer little square legs. If its on victorian style casters I would make some thick caster-cups, if desperate I would put it up on bricks like a car that's had its wheels stolen...

We have pine bedside cabinets with bun feet - gathers dust - not a fan. You can buy bun feet - google search turns up lots of options.

Hi all you turners, I am looking to raise my settees by 150mm, I think Bun feet would look the most appropriate in a fairly heavy wide section, what would you recommend?

Not enough information is like shooting yourself in the foot (bun foot) :mad:

Ok guys thanks for the feedback, I will post pictures later, the settees are already up on blocks hence knowing I need to do something more permanent, the existing feet are L shape I just thought Bun feet would look better, now thinking perhaps just extending the existing legs with similar timber may be the most aesthetic way forward. Any other suggestions welcome.

Front, side and end on, to me looking at this now, maybe a stepped solid timber block under the existing may be the answer, what do you guys think.

DSC02291.jpeg
DSC02292.jpeg
DSC02293.jpeg

By the looks of it, you need the whole level of the settee raised about 9 inches in total?

If you are prepared to move on from the idea of buns or extensions to the existing leg sections, I'd consider making a shallow, flat bed with a discrete ridge all round to contain the bed of the settee and mitred corners then, the whole settee could sit in it and it would appear to be an integral frame.

Remove the existing feet,then incorporate short legs of the required length into the frame that could be round, square.... or tapered in section. That way it looks as if it is part of the settee, instead of an addition.
Just an alternative thought that doesn't rely on a lathe!

Good luck.

If I matched the taper on the existing legs they would end up as a point at 150mm high, so perhaps new legs are in order, the black blocks are 75mm high, the existing legs are 50mm, so I am only looking at extending an additional 25mm, I like the idea of a flat continuous bed, but unfortunately I don't have a workshop anymore, removing the existing and making/buying new legs is what I envisaged from the start of all this, I will trawl the net to see what I can find, unless anyone has a source they can post a link too?

Last edited:
Found these: 4x REPLACEMENT BLOCK WOOD FURNITURE LEGS M8(8mm) CHAIR – SETTEE FEET 150mm HIGH – Knights 2 U

And these: 4 WOODEN FURNITURE LEGS M10 REPLACEMENT TURNED FEET 135mm HIGH MAHOGANY FINISH – Knights 2 U

The curved ones add a bit of interest, but I am a bit concerned on the lack of bearing onto the settee base, also an 8mm bolt is not that strong to take the weight of the settee when putting it back onto the legs after fitting, the whole weight of the settee will be on two 8mm bolts when lifting the settee back to upright after laying it down to fit the legs, obviously applies to both types above. As an ex Chartered Structural Engineer I tend to overthink these things and thoughts of sheer stress and bending moments are never far from my thoughts. 🤔

If it was mine I would make legs that matched the top of the existing leg and the same footprint at the floor and adjust the taper accordingly. Take some cardboard, cut and tape it to the new dimensions and put it at the end of the couch with the couch on a stack of books so you can remove the riser. Stand back and look at it from all directions. I bet it looks like it was meant to be. Then you make them or find someone that can.

Pete

Rather than posting photos of the existing feet, please post a photo of the entire settee. The point is that the feet are part of the WHOLE design, and not simply a tiny area that is tucked away and separate. The existing feet are squared, and this design may suit the settee better than buns, or vice versa. We cannot advise until you allow us to see what you see.

Regards from Perth

Derek

M8 should be good to about 6 kN which I would think is adequate for a sofa leg. I would be more worried about the leg itself or the attachment point failing.

M8 should be good to about 6 kN which I would think is adequate for a sofa leg. I would be more worried about the leg itself or the attachment point failing.
Plus if you think about it, the threaded rod is just a locator, the weight/pressure from the sofa is directly transfered to the wooden foot.

Rather than posting photos of the existing feet, please post a photo of the entire settee. The point is that the feet are part of the WHOLE design, and not simply a tiny area that is tucked away and separate. The existing feet are squared, and this design may suit the settee better than buns, or vice versa. We cannot advise until you allow us to see what you see.

Regards from Perth

Derek
You are so right Derek. We still don’t have the whole picture. As an ex structural engineer. You are asking us to design a part to go on the end of a bridge structure without showing us the bridge!

Plus if you think about it, the threaded rod is just a locator, the weight/pressure from the sofa is directly transfered to the wooden foot.
Except that when lifting the sofa back up it's a bending moment on the 8mm rod and its the sheer strength that is in question.

You are so right Derek. We still don’t have the whole picture. As an ex structural engineer. You are asking us to design a part to go on the end of a bridge structure without showing us the bridge!
I am just calculating the UDL, wind loading and end bearing requirements, oh and not forgetting the thrust measurements. 🤣

Except that when lifting the sofa back up it's a bending moment on the 8mm rod and its the sheer strength that is in question.
Well that worry about bending the rod is about 1 second of the buns life. If they bend , bend them back and then they should be good forever.

Back