Built a coat rack and struggling with finish...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaderag

Reaction score
New member here so please go easy!

I've just built a coat rack out of some old pallet wood I had to hand and while I'm happy with the result I'm really struggling with finish.

I ordered an Light Oak stain tester which we've put on, but frankly it just makes things look dirty (pics attached, actually looks better in the pics than it does in real life)
I've tried some clear treatement too which I had for my bathroom cabinet, and I also tried Rustins Danish Oil, none of which seem to make much of an impact.

The original pic the wife sent was something like below, so a very slight sheen. Appreciate I'm not going to match it as I'm not using oak, and she's happy with what we have, but I have no idea where to go with testing different finishes now as I thought the stain + some oil/wax might work

Anyone offer any thoughts?
Thanks!

1631092450687.png

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_082228 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210908_082228 (1).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210908_082240 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210908_082240 (1).jpg
    126 KB · Views: 99
I'd tend to go for Ronseal Diamond Interior Clear Satin, otherwise I'd paint it using a heritage type colour in matt or a Rustins spray can from Homebase.

Thanks - so a varnish rather than a stain then?
Are there any 'rules' or similar for how you pick or is it just trial and error?!

The wood seems to have some dark discolouration within the grain pattern whether that's mould or wood preservative I don't know, but I suspect any finish is going to accentuate that. If you just wipe the surface with a damp cloth what does it look like - varnishes or waxes will accentuate that. Tbh it a case of starting from unknown material. Recycling is good, but unless you're going for industrial chic then pallets are not an easy or predictable starting point.

In my experience staining softwood (especially pallet wood) often doesn't look that good so yes I would try a varnish and/or paint on a test piece. If you can get hold of a hardwood pallet then the stain or varnish finish would be much better. Check facebook for hardwood pallets or the box type that hold slates and tiles. See if you have a pallet company nearby as they many be able to help. I bought a load of hardwood 'pallet tops' from our local company to make a bench - they cost me £1.50 each.

https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-diamond-hard-clear-satin-wood-varnish-0-25l/176035_BQ.prd
Rust-Oleum | Homebase

The wood seems to have some dark discolouration within the grain pattern whether that's mould or wood preservative I don't know, but I suspect any finish is going to accentuate that. If you just wipe the surface with a damp cloth what does it look like - varnishes or waxes will accentuate that. Tbh it a case of starting from unknown material. Recycling is good, but unless you're going for industrial chic then pallets are not an easy or predictable starting point.
Yeah, absolutely - I'm not expecting miracles (and tbh the wife is happy with what it is) so absolute worse case it can go up bare!

In my experience staining softwood (especially pallet wood) often doesn't look that good so yes I would try a varnish and/or paint on a test piece. If you can get hold of a hardwood pallet then the stain or varnish finish would be much better. Check facebook for hardwood pallets or the box type that hold slates and tiles. See if you have a pallet company nearby as they many be able to help. I bought a load of hardwood 'pallet tops' from our local company to make a bench - they cost me £1.50 each.
https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-diamond-hard-clear-satin-wood-varnish-0-25l/176035_BQ.prd
Rust-Oleum | Homebase

Thanks - have just been over to Wilko and grabbed a tin of clear (and one of oak as well) for testing on some scrap - will see how I get on :)

Hello Vaderag,
My understanding is that traditionally pallets are made of poplar, mainly because poplar is unsuitable for anything else. I may well make myself unpopu

Depending on how much hassle you are looking for... one approach that could help with the uneven colouration on the wood is to bleach it first with oxalic acid. May help reduce the dark areas. However, you could likely pick up a a few offcuts of oak for less than the price of the treatment/stain.

If it's some fungus from moisture, it might not be a good idea to seal it in,
Considering there is some tearout and ridges from the planer, that might present some blotching.
I note that Cosman mentions not doing anything to pine.
I have no experience finishing anything really.
Perhaps test wax on some scraps, or see what folks have to say about wax, as I'm guessing that might be one way it might not be as apparent.
Another method might be a soap finish, have a look at Chris Schwarz for a video on the subject.

Tom

Hello Vaderag,
My understanding is that traditionally pallets are made of poplar, mainly because poplar is unsuitable for anything else. I may well make myself unpopu
I think they are made out of whatever is local and cheap. I've made compost bins out of oak pallets and also used softwood ones as tinder. You can, as I did, find hardwood ones in a pallet supplier's yard and people also put slate/tile pallet wood containers on Facebook which are nearly always hardwood in my experience. Here's an example of what I mean (1) Marketplace – Pallets | Facebook

Our wood pellets are delivered on a pallet every month from now until the end of spring but they are always cheap softwood.

I would go for a varnish. Seal it all in.

Think of the coats, ruining a few ££ of wood is one thing, ruining a load of wet coats because the stain, dye, oil etc gets on them is a bigger deal. I know the coats hang down but by the time you and your visitors have piled them on after a wet walk, collars will likely be in contact.

Same thinking with your proposed bench project, people sit on them and those people are (normally) wearing clothes.

New member here so please go easy!

I've just built a coat rack out of some old pallet wood I had to hand and while I'm happy with the result I'm really struggling with finish.

I ordered an Light Oak stain tester which we've put on, but frankly it just makes things look dirty (pics attached, actually looks better in the pics than it does in real life)
I've tried some clear treatement too which I had for my bathroom cabinet, and I also tried Rustins Danish Oil, none of which seem to make much of an impact.

The original pic the wife sent was something like below, so a very slight sheen. Appreciate I'm not going to match it as I'm not using oak, and she's happy with what we have, but I have no idea where to go with testing different finishes now as I thought the stain + some oil/wax might work

Anyone offer any thoughts?
Thanks!

View attachment 117388
I use a lot of pallet wood and I find that using a grain sealer and coloured (or not) wax polish works well, time-consuming but worth the effort.

Far from scientific but I useualy wet my finger and dab it on and that gives you an idea of how its going to look with a wax of clear finish, and as been said you can already see a blackness within the grain which will probably be accentuated. My take on stuff made with pallet wood is I prefer it painted with the paint thinly applied with a rag and rubbed in, that way you can see the wood grain rather than blotting it out and it gives it a shabbychic look with I like,,,often a very light sanding is all thats required and the sawn timber again adds to the rustic charm,,,,there you go, quote “rustic charm” to her,,,sounds like a winner to me! BTW its a very nice coatrack.
Steve

you can still see the planer marks on the wood, I would finish it with either thinned out PVA glue hide or de-waxed shellac to act as a sanding sealer, that should help with the blotchyness pre staining.

not mould, natural colouring of the wood, I wish I could remember the name but I have soem of the same wood with that greenish colouration

Thanks for all the advice guys - after a few testers we've found that a medium oak varnish seems to look pretty good on the test pieces so going to go with that!

Back