Building Wegner's "The Chair" .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
This should make a change from discussing sharpening :lol:

Hang about, I did have to sharpen a few chisels and spokeshaves. What is the best method ..... (hammer)

Well, I have finally begun building The Chair. There is an introduction to the project which, with the exception of a little lathe work and roughing out on the bandsaw, has a hand tool focus ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... ction.html

I have been busy the part week ... well, a few hours each day (as I am on leave) ..

Building the legs: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... eLegs.html

Templates: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... lates.html

Stretchers: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... chers.html

Tenons: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... enons.html

Morticing: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... tices.html

As always, any advice and discussion is welcomed.

Best wishes from Perth for the New Year

Derek

Derek that is a real labour of love! Amazing attention to detail and patience in solving all these problems with hand tools. loving this WIP - please keep it coming
Kind regards from Eynsham, Oxfordshire.
Mark

Interesting stuff Derek.
I've never made anything so complicated. I'm sure the only way to do a good copy is to have an original to hand.
I'd wonder about construction it as far as possible "in the square" though this wouldn't be literally possible - but to get the components all jointed up and only then start doing the final shaping, taking it apart for the turned bits, putting it back together for the spoke-shaving, rasping etc.

Hi Jacob

Many chairs are fashioned that way - the sectioned morticed and tenoned while square, and then rasped or spokeshaved to a curvy shape. That is how Sam Maloof made his chairs (which is a style similar to this Wegner design).

The problem I had was that I could not see how I could connect the rear and front stretchers to the legs at the correct angle. Not only are these stretchers curved in two directions, but they do not enter the legs on the square (as do the side stretchers). This gave me a headache just thinking about it. However, after consuming enough beer, I decided "stuff it, I'll do them later on". Well, I was told that this was the wrong way - which it probably is, but no one showed me how to do it it correctly - and in the end I worked out a hand tools method that seems to be working (touch wood ... I begin the front and rear stretchers tomorrow).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Did you read any of Maloof's books (or articles about Maloof's technique)? His chairs are even more sculpted and less rectilinear than the (very elegant) chair you're building, so might be a rich source of tips.

BugBear

Nice looking chair Derek - I've always fancied making a Sam Maloof Rocker but my excuse is that it's too big and I've nowhere to house one?:)

Are you going to adopt Sam's method of freehand curve cutting on the bandsaw - always looked a bit dangerous to me?

Philly (of the Planes fame) started making a Maloof type one but I never heard if he finished it?

Good luck.

Rod

Hi BB

I've watched countless videos of Maloof building chairs. His work begins in the square and is then shaped. In fact, his work is quite square when you look carefully.

chairtn.jpg

maloof-rocker.png

And Wegner for comparison ...

T2eC16dHJGFFm1ltomkBSUIu2dE60_57_zps50952be0.jpg

In short, The Chair is built with compound angles while Maloof creates their look.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Harbo":333k83x6 said:
Are you going to adopt Sam's method of freehand curve cutting on the bandsaw - always looked a bit dangerous to me?

Hi Rod

I am toying with the idea but my bandsaw scares me with its power (Hammer 4400). I am also considering a drawknife - safer but into Jarrah ??!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hand making something that has been made with machines and jigs is going to be more difficult so hats off to you Derek.
They will be a cracking set when you have finished.

Can't wait for the coping! thin gouge to do the under cut?

Pete

All power to your elbow Derek. I don't think I could break off mid flow to take images, so well done and many thanks.
xy

Well that turned out nice, bet there was some bum clenching moments paring close to the edge :shock:

Pete

Looks neat. Better then the original. But when you round over the edges of the styles, won't the undercuts you made show up as gaping fits? I hope I don't make you anxious with this comment...

Hi Kees

The rounding over takes place on the other edges. The shoulders are left untouched.

You had me going for about 0.00002 seconds :)

Regards from Perth

Derek (heading back into the workshop on a sweltering day)

As usual, it's beautiful work, Derek. I'm making notes.

Out of idle curiosity, how did they do this originally, in manufacturing? I was wondering if they squared off the leg where it should touch the rail, thus avoiding the need to cope the tenon shoulders. It ought to look the same, but would have the disadvantage of trapping the rail vertically if/when the rail expanded, and leaving a gap if/when it shrunk. If a lot of expansion, it would risk splitting bits off the leg, too.

If not that then some sort of machine cope, which would be 'interesting' to set up, I'd guess.

Did you ever find out?

E.

Out of idle curiosity, how did they do this originally, in manufacturing? I was wondering if they squared off the leg where it should touch the rail, thus avoiding the need to cope the tenon shoulders. It ought to look the same, but would have the disadvantage of trapping the rail vertically if/when the rail expanded, and leaving a gap if/when it shrunk. If a lot of expansion, it would risk splitting bits off the leg, too.

If not that then some sort of machine cope, which would be 'interesting' to set up, I'd guess.

Hi Eric

There is a link to a video of The Chair being manufactured by sanding machines and shapers. All the joints were essentially CNCed (or the equivalent). Look at the video.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back