Budget tablesaw decision Axy or Dewalt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Ignoring the fact that Axminster has just hiked the prices up and that I could've got a deal on the earlier TS200/250 models then upgraded it with new fence etc.

Can anyone help me decide between the Axminster TS-250 or a Dewalt 745 site saw? I've got very limited space and just want something to keep me going for a year or two until I have a better workshop. I really like the idea of induction motor for quieter running but can't quite convince myself it's worth choosing the TS250 over the Dewalt for that alone. Especially as I only do the odd hobby work.

TS-250M-2
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... -table-saw

Dewalt 745
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... MdpBUeDl8E

I want something just for doing the things my track saw isn't ideal for.

I usually work with 20-40mm oak, which makes me think I might appreciate the slightly beefier TS250 over 200.

Cheers!

I have the Dewalt 745 and find it excellent. The blade stays dead straight as it is raised/lowered. The fence is extremely accurate and rock solid and it is also a nice compact size if you are short on space as I am.

The downside is it is loud, very loud! I would never dream of using it without ear protection.

Cheers,

Rack and pinion is lovely I do like that. I suppose if I was simply stood in front of the two of these saws I'd be able to make my mind up instantly based on if I can stand the dewalts noise level or not.

I've also been looking at the 745 and the Ts-200-2, I think the noise issue will tip me towards the Ts as I'll use it in the evenings when my little one has gone to bed. Going to Axminster Warrington have a look this weekend hopefully.

I too am gutted I missed out on the sales at xmas :( 11 months is too long to wait for the next sale unfortunately, not seen anything on ebay that ticks the boxes either.

Just checked the weights. 80kg (TS250) versus 22kg (745). So the TS250 would be ok provided it just needs wheeled out to be used I suppose but definitely not something you'd be taking outside on a nice day. Dewalt obviously far more portable.

The TS250 is a cabinet saw the Dewalt is basically a site saw - big difference in intended use.

Roger that is true but they are both valid choices for my intended use which is at home for hobby work.

Your call. But the noise of the Dewalt would rule it out for me.

It's not just the operator (who can wear ear protection) but other members the household and neighbours will have to suffer too. Just depends on your situation and location I guess.

Yeah it does look like it comes down to noise as you say in my situation. Although I don't worry about using my circular saw on a weekend. I'm guessing this is even louder than that.

cgarry":2av0cx9j said:
I have the Dewalt 745 and find it excellent. The blade stays dead straight as it is raised/lowered. The fence is extremely accurate and rock solid and it is also a nice compact size if you are short on space as I am.

The downside is it is loud, very loud! I would never dream of using it without ear protection.

Cheers,

+1

With a table sled and on a mobile base, just the job.

Noise is subjective. I made a point of politely asking my neighbours to inform me if I was causing a problem at any time and I feel they would, 1 year on no complaints, however I do not use any machines in my workshop on a Sunday.

If you think you would have trouble with neighbours, although an induction motor machine would definitely be quieter the actual cutting of the timber on a table saw can be quite noisy to anybody sensitive.

pike":28bre1n8 said:
Roger that is true but they are both valid choices for my intended use which is at home for hobby work.

I think they are two different things.

As someone else pointed out, the Dewalt is a site saw affair, setup to be light weight, with a aluminium top and some sort of roll cage to prevent it being damaged on site.

The Axminster is a entry level saw designed for a shop with a cast iron top and an induction motor.

Mar_mite":sngl3cl0 said:
I have a charnwood w619. Have a look at that before you make your final decision.

Don't forget that that is identical to the TS200, it is the same thing with all the accessories mounted to a nice steel cab. doesn't even have new fence that's on the ts200 mk2

It is actually smaller than the ts250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. If I bought it right now I think I'm leaning to cabinet with induction motor of some sort. So TS250 or better.

got this for £250.00

Attachments

• 1999-01-01 00.00.00-27.jpg
    1999-01-01 00.00.00-27.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,672
I have a 150ft garden with no access or fixed power and a 10x10 shed at the bottom of it. Otherwise yes please one of those would do nicely :)

Back