BS400 Bandsaw Upper Guide Question/Concern

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scgwhite, I am rather surprised that you felt the guides were not working correctly, but if you bought your bandsaw from new, you do have a 5 year guarantee and could rely on that to get replacements. However, by changing the guides to the woodden ones, you will invalidate your guarantee if anything at all goes wrong with the bandsaw, which does not seem to be a good way to go.

Malcolm

woodpig":1sqz4807 said:
I'm surprised they say it won't fit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if no one has actually tried to fit the Startrite bearings on a BS400, why would they? The actual fitting to both machines looks virtually identical as far as I can see.

I don't disagree with you Woodpig which is why I am very much hoping somebody who goes to Harrogate can take a look and pick up with RP on it. Even if they don't fit off the peg there may need to be minimal modification.

Terry.

We really need someone with a Startrite 403 who's willing to take pictures of the bearings from several angles and take some measurements. This of course assumes that Record don't cop the strop and refuse to sell the "upgrade" to Record Bandsaw owners. They could turn round and say you should have bought the Startrite in the first place if you wanted professional guides.

Or somebody needs to be somewhere that has both a BS400 and a 403, then they can just take the guides off the 403 and see if they fit on the BS400. That way the first question would be answered for sure. In terms of RP's willingness to sell 403 spare parts surely they can't know what they are sing bought for? But to the point above, presumably it invalidates the 5 year warranty.

Terry.

Thats a good work around scgwhite do you leave your blade gaurd off all the time or do others operate their saws without the gaurd must admit I have been tempted.

The blade guard needs a little chop to fit with this upgraded guide, which I've not got round to yet.

scgwhite, I am rather surprised that you felt the guides were not working correctly, but if you bought your bandsaw from new, you do have a 5 year guarantee and could rely on that to get replacements. However, by changing the guides to the woodden ones, you will invalidate your guarantee if anything at all goes wrong with the bandsaw, which does not seem to be a good way to go.

Thanks Malcolm. I rather suspect that if I caller RP and said 'these guides on my £1k bandsaw are a poor, cheap design - could I have something that actually works?' I could predict what the answer would be. Perhaps I'd get another set of the same old wobbly, squeaky guides that don't allow sufficient close adjustment without rubbing on the blade. Much easier to make something that functions well - indeed, I can't see RP denying a warranty claim on the basis of a modification - adding my guides can't be any different to adding aftermarket guides?

pike":1ea6w9i6 said:
Thanks but I'm not so sure it would fit the BS400.

Also it's a slightly odd design.

bigbob1":1ea6w9i6 said:

These do fit the BS400 - I didn't buy mine from Yandles, and I can't remember the name of the place that I did buy them from (there was an advert for them in one of the woodworking magazines, possibly Furniture and Cabinetmaking, some time back).

However, having had these on my BS400 for a period of time, I felt that they didn't provide any benefit over the standard setup and have now reverted to the standard setup. It did take me a little while to set it up well, but since learning (from trial and error) what adjustments are critical for what blade, I am very happy with the standard blade guides. I keep meaning to try the bearing guides again but am happy enough with the standard guides to think why bother.

The BS400 guides are fine and work well down to a 1/4" blade and as long as you are happy with them, a change may not improve anything at all. If anyone going to a sho could take the 403 guides with them, I'm sure the Record rep wouldn't mind seeing if they fit. Or indeed any other pair of owners locally, I would be happy to help out for anyone near me. It's always nice to get together with another member to chat.
Malcolm

Alexam":sfutrcwi said:
Photo is not a problem, this one has been reduced in size.

Part Number
SBS400-203 Upper Guide Support Block
SBS400-262 Upper Blade Guide Support*
SBS400-263 Rear Blade Guide Assembly*
SBS400-264 Rear Blade Guide Assembly

Malcolm

Thanks a lot Malcolm =).

Like i've said before I don't think the guides don't work properly, but i'm always trying to make improvements wherever I can even if they're small. A lot of the issue with the guide is just the peculiarity with setting them to the right place.

If you were to put your location on your Profile information, you may be nearby someone who could show or help you with any problems you have. That is one of the benefits of the UKW forum, lots of members being prepared to help others in a practical way. Just putting (UK) is not so helpful for you, or others who may offer to pop round if you wished.

Malcolm

I had a quick look at the Startrite 403 and the Record 400 today at Yandles. The guides (mounting block) on both machines are attached in exactly the same manner - a rod clamped in a square block on the bottom of the guide post. Whether the rod is the same size or not I couldn't tell but it looked pretty similar. I also couldn't tell if the offset between the mounting rod and the blade is the same or not but once again it looked pretty close to me. I didn't bother asking the guy from Record power as he didn't seem very knowledgable judging by the answer I got on another matter. :wink:

It was the last thing on my mind when I set out this morning... In fact it wouldn't have occurred to me at all except the two machines were parked next to each other!

Gents, looks like it does fit. With some adjustments. Photo to follow :) you'd need to remove one of the double side rollers on each side and have it supplied with shorter bolts. The nice record bloke tried it for me at the Harrogate show.

I didn't actually check which bandsaw they were from but it was a startrite.

The bearings did look quite large on the 403. I'm guessing maybe 10 x 30 x 9? Surprised you'd need to take off one set but fitting shorter bolts isn't a problem, plenty on eBay once you know the size. They look like M6.

It's just that it has double side guides and unless you run the blade almost hanging off the front to clear them you'd need to take one off. The record man suggested he could supply shorter bolts.

I don't think I can get photo off my phone until I'm home tomorrow.

IMG_20161119_143820839.jpg

Startrite upper guides on a BS400

Excellent! Just a matter if RP will make them available for those that want them at reasonable cost?

I'm now wondering if the back bearing can be replaced with one with a snap ring groove so that it could be used like the Carter "Stabilizer" with the side guides removed?

pike":2ybqv9vk said:

Startrite upper guides on a BS400
I missed the last couple of posts on this thread, but was reminder of it by a current thread. Looks like you had some luck, but am I the only one who can't see the picture you posted?

Terry.

I stopped using the web host which used to have my images. Here's the pic again. You can see you'd have to remove the front bearing on each side for the BS400 (I think the whole block is as far back as it will go, in this photo) but other than that it does seem to fit.

Carl.

Attachments

• IMG_20161119_143820839.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back