BS350 bandsaw - problem with tensioning mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
The mechanism to tension the blade in my Record Power BS350 bandsaw is broken -- I can turn the tensioning knob but this doesn't apply any more tension to the blade. (The bandsaw is about 7 years old.) To investigate this problem, I need to remove to upper wheel.

Has anybody done this on the same or similar bandsaw ? Do you just have to remove the circlip, or is it more complicated than that ?

Title edited to reflect 'progress'.

Take a look at a parts drawing on mtmc or powertoolspares, it might give you a better idea. How do you rate that machine?

HI Lee
Quite straightforward I have done it several times
I ended up complaining to record and got a replacement tightening mechanism - so quite easy to see what is what
HTH
Mark

Otto:

I have the parts diagram in the manual, but I didn't know if, after removing the circlip, it was still difficult to remove the wheel.

The machine is generally pretty good. I did have a bolt holding part of the guide mechanism break off a few years back (without any abuse), but easy enough to replace.

I've now removed the upper wheel.

I can't see anything obviously broken, missing or out of place -- all the parts from the exploded parts diagram in the manual appear to be there. The only thing I can see that could be 'adjusted' is the pair of nuts towards the top of the vertical shaft.

Pictures below; has anyone got any ideas ? (reminder -- the problem is that the tensioning mechanism doesn't apply any significant tension to the blade)

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 100
Would suggest that a thread has stripped, check the threaded shaft and the associated nut in the adjusting knob assembly that runs on it.

Slacken off the two nuts that are locking the threaded rod into the rest of the tensioning links below.

You should then be able to remove the adjusting knob and unscrew the threaded rod upwards. (don't know the actual construction of the bandsaw but that's what appears to be the construction pattern from the images).

Latest posts

Back